Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Need Help - New Owner  (Read 6856 times)

oaky

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL-2840
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help - New Owner
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 05:34:01 PM »

I bought my chimney cap from Menards, a different cap brand but fits perfectly & doesn't restrict chimney air draft flow. It's good that you have the treatment in now. Are you still having excess condensation forming yet?
Husqvarna 272
Husqvarna 55
27 Ton Cub Cadet Log Splitter
John Deere 826D Walk-Behind Snowblower
Always A Good Pile Of Oak Firewood
Home is: West Central Wisconsin

Maxnchej

• OWF Brand: Portage and main
  • OWF Model: Bl2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 06:26:12 PM »

I bought my chimney cap from Menards, a different cap brand but fits perfectly & doesn't restrict chimney air draft flow. It's good that you have the treatment in now. Are you still having excess condensation forming yet?

When I got home tonight It look like there was some during the day on the pad, but it was dry by the time I was home. So it is much better then it has been. It was really warm here, about 62 and going to drop to the low 40 tonight. I think the high burn and cleaning has helped. I plan to use it from Oct to April each year so I hope I get it under control since there will be mild days in that run time.

cando attitude

• OWF Model: BL 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 07:45:33 PM »

Hi Maxnchej,

I too just started up a new bl2840 a few weeks ago and am learning the ins and outs of burning wood.  A couple of things from another newbie's perspective.  As uponthehill stated, beware of opening the door just after the fan has stopped running as this is when flashback has most potential.  I'm lucky I kept my eyebrows the first time it happened to me.  When I opened the door and the fresh air rushed in, I got a 5-6' flame ball that erupted out in an upward fashion (follows heated gases as they escape out the front door).  Now the only way I know if a burn cycle has just happened is to check the temp gauge.  if temp is as set point, then I know there's a good chance that one was recent and I approach with caution, opening door slowly and standing to left, behind it.  I've noticed this happens more if there's more wood in the stove, holding heat after a cycle.  As far as a cap on my stack, I did put one on mine.  I just didn't want to have rain water running down my stack.  Here in Ohio, we have rain more often than snow.  The only down fall to this is that the back of my stove looks a bit unsightly as drops of condensation drip from the cap onto the back of my stove (hey, atleast the stove is black).

I too notice condensation in my ash pan occasionally and the creosote buildup is more than I expect, however, like you the temps here have not been cold and I think with more firing when the temps drop, this will improve.

Hope this helps
Producing a little smoke, here in  South Central Ohio....
Echo CS 400
Jonsered 2255
Case 35B
Dirty hands splitter
2013 3500 Duramax

Maxnchej

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 04:27:32 AM »

Hi Maxnchej,

I too just started up a new bl2840 a few weeks ago and am learning the ins and outs of burning wood.  A couple of things from another newbie's perspective.  As uponthehill stated, beware of opening the door just after the fan has stopped running as this is when flashback has most potential.  I'm lucky I kept my eyebrows the first time it happened to me.  When I opened the door and the fresh air rushed in, I got a 5-6' flame ball that erupted out in an upward fashion (follows heated gases as they escape out the front door).  Now the only way I know if a burn cycle has just happened is to check the temp gauge.  if temp is as set point, then I know there's a good chance that one was recent and I approach with caution, opening door slowly and standing to left, behind it.  I've noticed this happens more if there's more wood in the stove, holding heat after a cycle.  As far as a cap on my stack, I did put one on mine.  I just didn't want to have rain water running down my stack.  Here in Ohio, we have rain more often than snow.  The only down fall to this is that the back of my stove looks a bit unsightly as drops of condensation drip from the cap onto the back of my stove (hey, atleast the stove is black).

I too notice condensation in my ash pan occasionally and the creosote buildup is more than I expect, however, like you the temps here have not been cold and I think with more firing when the temps drop, this will improve.

Hope this helps

Thanks for providing me your details, it does help a lot. I live about 2 hours from the Ohio border, so our temperature is similar year around.

Where did you get your cap from?

I check the stove this morning and loaded it and there was no water in the ash pan, but it got cold last night and there was not wood in the firebox either, just coals, the stove temp was down to 164 and the fan was running.

I have also learned to always stand to the left behind the door to get less smoke in the face and to be safe.

cando attitude

• OWF Model: BL 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 05:38:01 PM »

I picked up my cap (6") at Menards.  It's a cheapy at ~$7.  I did not go with the deluxe version at ~$40.  I have no regrets.

Producing a little smoke, here in  South Central Ohio....
Echo CS 400
Jonsered 2255
Case 35B
Dirty hands splitter
2013 3500 Duramax

Bud Man

• OWF Brand: P&M
  • OWF Model: BL 2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 06:41:33 PM »

I'm a newby at this also. Started my 2840 11-7. I have all the same things all of you have. Water expanded and ran out, condensation, smoke in my face, etc. Was hoping it was all normal and looks like it is. Weather got cold here and most problems disappeared. My house is warm and my shop is warm. What more could I want? Talked to Slimjim on the phone yesterday and dang that guy is great! He really is knowledgable and helpful.
Livin' on a long and lonesome highway east of Omaha.

oaky

• OWF Model: BL-2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 06:47:31 PM »

I'm a newby at this also. Started my 2840 11-7. I have all the same things all of you have. Water expanded and ran out, condensation, smoke in my face, etc. Was hoping it was all normal and looks like it is. Weather got cold here and most problems disappeared. My house is warm and my shop is warm. What more could I want? Talked to Slimjim on the phone yesterday and dang that guy is great! He really is knowledgable and helpful.

That he is! :thumbup:
Husqvarna 272
Husqvarna 55
27 Ton Cub Cadet Log Splitter
John Deere 826D Walk-Behind Snowblower
Always A Good Pile Of Oak Firewood
Home is: West Central Wisconsin

Uponthehill

• OWF Brand: PM 2840 w/ Logstor
  • OWF Model: 250 & 461 Stihl
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2014, 07:55:15 PM »

Maxnchej.  I put 1/2 the amount of treatment in when I filled.  The sample will go in the mail tomorrow.  Forgot today.  Monday was Veterans Day.  My reason for the extra section of pipe is this....  My 2840 sets ~ 4' beside my shop.  When the wind comes over the roof, it drops and swirls.  I think if the smoke exits higher, it will be taken over the hill and away from me and the shop.  It's worth it to me to try.  If I don't locate a section of the Security pipe locally, I am ordering from PM tomorrow.  One thing I've learned is that loading while it's calling for heat and there is a fire in the hole, there is almost no smoke.  Get your pieces ready, open, stoke, load, and shut the door.  Today is Nov.12.  In four days, my ash pan is about 1/3 full.  I think that is pretty amazing.  Burning a lot of scrap pieces now to get rid of some laps.  I too have noticed ash pan door condensation to the point of dripping out the door when it is closed.  I have placed a 1/2 full 14" x 16" x 4" pan of water to catch the dippings at the ash pan door and out the back of the stack.  This is only to keep my new concrete pad from staining.
Central Kentucky wood burner !

Maxnchej

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2014, 07:01:02 AM »

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with the same issues/questions.

I talked to SimJim on Thursday morning and he was great. If anyone has any questions please reach out to him. I haven't been able to post for the past two days since my Internet has been down, wireless internet living in the country - what are you going to do  >:D.

Today will mark one week running my mew bl2840 so I plan to let it burn down today and clean out the ash tray and do a little scraping.

I have changed my set temp from 180 to 185 and the unit is running much cleaner and better, plan to push it up to 190 today to see it is reduce the last little bit of creosote that the unit is producing.

I will be sending in my sample this weekend as well since it has been running for a week.

I like the though of using a pan under the ash door to caught the drippings, something else that I'm going to do today as well, no I need to figure out how I can clean my new cement since it is not looking nice at all.

Thanks to all of you who have helped over the pas week, I'm loving having a nice warm house and burning no propane!!!! :thumbup:
Pages: 1 [2]