Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Time to upgrade?  (Read 5844 times)

Log hog

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
Re: Time to upgrade?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 07:34:32 AM »

We're not having the bitter cold here. Last night was 22 and rising. It is 32 out now.  The cold will return though. I filed the unit at about 10 pm. Mix of big hardwood and small split pine. I did not pack it tight like I always had to with the 5036 and at 8 am there was enough wood to last the day and make a great hardwood coal bed for the night tonight.  Very happy. It took 4 hours to bring the water up from 55 to 185.

Now that the switch is done I can spend the day in the woods running tubing to tap Maple trees :thumbup:
Bobcat S650 with root grapple
New. Holland tractors
Stihl 029&250
Husky 570

aries9245

• OWF Model: Cl6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 08:23:52 AM »

Sweet enjoy it.. Luv mine
Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws
Homemade 4way splitter w/log lift ( the terminator)

Log hog

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 07:04:13 AM »

Well I have had the new boiler up and running for about two weeks now.  I had a 5036 and now 6048.  The two major differences I see are burn time and size of log.  The weather had been rather mild for our area highs around 30 and lows in the 20. And I was able to get over 24 hours burn time.  Heating 2800 ranch, full walk out basement and DHW.  In fact I went out of town for a night and loaded it in the morning I left and it was still very full the second evening. I am also able to through in very large diameter logs.  I hate splitting big logs, so I had some old birch and oak that was 24 plus stuff and knotty.  I cut it in to short pieces 8 inch long or so. And load the chips in.  In the old burner I could do this but could not get enough packed in to burn this stuff well.  Also the coal bed is enormous compared to the smaller, I know this is management thing. But I like having a bed that never goes cold, helps to dry and burn the bigger stuff. Glad I bought a 6048 before the EPA bans the sale of them. 
Bobcat S650 with root grapple
New. Holland tractors
Stihl 029&250
Husky 570
Pages: 1 [2]