Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Classic owners-Front Light  (Read 3894 times)

Ridgekid

Classic owners-Front Light
« on: December 15, 2011, 08:14:37 AM »

Not sure if your interested.

Since the front light is useless for providing light inside the firebox, you might want to change it to indicate it’s in a burn cycle.

I scanned and modified the schematic to show how to do this change. If your interested I'll email it to you. It's in PDF format. Ridgekid@msn.com

It only takes a couple of minutes to do this.

Note: The light will no longer come on with the switch.

EDIT: Make sure you turn the power off before attempting. Hate to see anyone getting electrocuted trying to make this mod!!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 09:28:32 AM by Ridgekid »

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Re: Classic owners-Front Light
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 01:01:19 PM »

Not sure if your interested.

Since the front light is useless for providing light inside the firebox, you might want to change it to indicate it’s in a burn cycle.

I scanned and modified the schematic to show how to do this change. If your interested I'll email it to you. It's in PDF format. Ridgekid@msn.com

It only takes a couple of minutes to do this.

Note: The light will no longer come on with the switch.

EDIT: Make sure you turn the power off before attempting. Hate to see anyone getting electrocuted trying to make this mod!!

Ridgekid - Great idea, but because my furnace is located in such a place that I can not see it from the house, it would not be a benefit for me.  However, what I would like to do (perhaps wait 'til after the heating season is over) is put an LED light on some kind of gooseneck so when I'm stoking the firebox, I can simply lower it, turn it on so I can see what the heck I'm doing in there.  When I'm done servicing the firebox, I can simply fold it up out of the way.  When I get this done I'll try to remember to post pics of it. b Roger     
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Ridgekid

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 01:07:37 PM »

Yeah it's terrible, not being able to see inside. The only thing I can do is open the door and stand back for about a minute. The smoke evacuates and the flames start up again, then I have some light.

Of course daylight feedings are always a plus.  :thumbup:

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 03:33:30 PM »

I don't know how many people know this, but it's mighty dark outdoors at 5:00 in the morning and 5:00 in the evening.  I have a Ryobi battery powered flashlight that I put on the top inside of the open door.  It provides just enough light so I can see what I'm doing even through the smoke.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 07:31:06 PM »

I put a clamp style work light on the lip that is by the top of the door and ran the plug under the boiler and plug it in the outlet for the pumps. It works perfect
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

woodywoodchucker

• OWF Brand: cental boiler
  • OWF Model: classic 5036
  • what do I look like, an idiot?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 09:07:31 AM »

I like fueling woody at the end of the burn cycle. That way it's easy to see inside with the intense fire and there is no smoke. As alway open slowly.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »

I like fueling woody at the end of the burn cycle. That way it's easy to see inside with the intense fire and there is no smoke. As alway open slowly.

Yes.  Open slowly is great advice.  3 days before Christmas I was in a bit of a hurry so I opened the firebox door prematurily and I got the surprise of my life.  I found a very quick way of trimimg eyebrows but I wouldn't recommend it as a daily practice.  Thought I'd pass along that bit of information.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

woodywoodchucker

• OWF Brand: cental boiler
  • OWF Model: classic 5036
  • what do I look like, an idiot?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 12:11:55 PM »

Yes. Just after a burn is not the time. The vapors in there are just waiting for a blast of cold air. I like to open during mid burn cycle.

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 03:02:07 PM »

hello back draft!!!!!!!!!!!
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl