Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Smoke  (Read 5692 times)

ohiomatt

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Earth
  • OWF Model: Woodsman 405
    • View Profile
Smoke
« on: January 01, 2012, 09:46:53 PM »

I know it goes with the territory but what is everybody's trick to not smelling like smoke every time you fill your stove. Alot of it is my fault for facing the front of the stove due east. Don't mind it that bad but don't always like smelling like smoke when going to work or other places. Seems to be better if you can fill when the blower is running but with this mild weather it doesn't run that often. Wife doesn't really like my coat hanging in the house either, but I don't like going outside and putting on a cold coat either. Figured some of you guys had some tricks you've figured out over the years. Thanks

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: Smoke
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 10:06:01 PM »

Wait to fill it till it is burnt down to coals.

If I put in too much and it is still smoking then I just open the door and stand back till it goes away as much as it will.

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 10:15:30 PM »

Ohiomatt......

Well I was fighting this for a while as well.  My only solution was to wear only ONE thermal jacket at all times that i go out to the OWF.  When I get outside, I do three things to minimize the smoke:

1) Turn the the switch off that controls the fan ( this switch is front right side of OWF)

2) Open the ash box door first and "s-l-o-w-l-y"

3)  Open fire box door "s-l-o-w-l-y"

smoke is almost non existent this way.

When I come into the house, I first enter the garage and I have a designated hook for my jacket.  The jeans I have no choice but to wear them in the house, but I remove them once I get to my closet.  If you do NOT have a house garage, then I suppose all you can do is leave the jacket outside on a hook.  It will certainly air out while hanging outside.  Don't worry about it being a bit on the cool side...get a thermal work jacket...light weight, but warm.  Once you put it on, your body heat will warm the jacket up.

the other alternative to the jacket thing...yeah I know it sounds crazy, but ya gots ta do whatever works...wear another jacket outside and then once you are outside, remove the smokeless jacket and put on the work jacket.

Works well to have a garage though.  :-)

Lugnut

Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 03:59:17 AM »

I'm glad to learn that I'm not the only one who has wrestled with the smoke problem.  I have an attached shed to my house so the smoke filled jacket, gloves, etc... stay out there.  They are dedicated to furnace service. 

Because the furnace is new to me and a learning curve is involved, I too have to deal with the smoke issue.  My problem is everytime I go outside to service the OWB I find a few unburned pieces that are smoldering to beat the band.  I remove them to rake the ash out and comb the coals a bit.  I then put the unburned pieces back in and add to what I think I need to get me through the next 12 hours.  The weather has been so unusual this year that's it's difficult to get a handle on what will last 12 hours and have enough coals available to get the fire rekindled once serviced.  This past weekend the temps were in the 40's, by midweek, however, they are expected to be below zero.  We have had a few of these heat/cols cycles that make it difficult, for me, to know what I need for a fuel load for the day.  I guess as I use the OWB, over time I'll know what will work and what will simply leave unburned pieces in OWB.  One thing I did late last week was I had some piece that were quite wet.  So, I put those on the very top of the new stuff I put in the firebox.  It offered me a way of drying out the pieces before any pieces got to the oint of being burned.       
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 05:46:13 AM »

I usually try to catch mine just before it starts a burn cycle. After it has been sitting for a long time hardly no smoke. If fan starts when loading usually turn it off and finish loading. If I don't  catch it at right time I just open door and stand back until smoke clears. Keep coat in basement I use for loading. Still smells like smoke. Bright side smoke ash dust is outside instead of in house like it was with wood stove!!

artbaldoni

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-175 Modified to burn coal and/or wood.
  • Continuously burning since 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 06:08:01 AM »

The easiest way to not smell like smoke is to buy oil...very expensive, but no smoke smell.

I just keep a coat for OWB service in the basement. Knit hat too. Stoke boiler before shower in the morning. Doesn't seen to be a big deal for me.
Nature's Comfort  NCB-175
Dolmar 5105 20"
Makita DCS6401 28"
1995 5/8 ton Dodge
7 x 14 10k Trailer
Bobcat 7753 w/EEL Tracks
22T Huskee Splitter
Fiskars X-27
Fiskars X-11
15 # Monster Maul
Titan 60"  Twin Cyl. Root Grapple

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 06:51:05 AM »

The easiest way to not smell like smoke is to buy oil...very expensive, but no smoke smell.

Now why didn't I think of this....good one Art.   :thumbup:

Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Husquvarna 455 Rancher

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 07:00:11 AM »

Like some of the others I change jackets in the garage and leave the stove jacket and gloves there. I also open the ash door first.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

Ridgekid

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 07:13:07 AM »

Same as Bull- I have a designated jacket in the garage for stocking the wood stove. I like to stock within a few minutes after a burn cycle starts. This way the draft is going up the chimney.

Daped01

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 07:35:57 AM »

I love the smell, after I fill a boiler i'll be sitting around smelling my clothes for the next hour or so.  Yeah, i'm weird like that.   :thumbup:

ohiomatt

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Earth
  • OWF Model: Woodsman 405
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 08:48:04 AM »

Sounds like Im doing the same as most of you, just open the door and jump back and wait for the smoke to clear. Then throw some wood in. I do like it best when there is still some wood left and the blower is on. Thanks for all the responses

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 09:31:38 AM »

Sounds like Im doing the same as most of you, just open the door and jump back and wait for the smoke to clear. Then throw some wood in. I do like it best when there is still some wood left and the blower is on. Thanks for all the responses

Be VERY careful just throwing that door open...."slowly" is the operative word here.  I know you prolly do just that, but the way I read it was just the opposite.  I've heard ab out some people doing just that, opening the fire box door quickly without allowing the heat/gases to escape.

It is nice when there are at least hot coals left to get a really good fire going again.  This morning was tough because the coals were minimal and the newspaper was starting to catch, but then quickly burned out.  finally got a good fire going about 45 minutes later.  This is my first year as well and it's all trial and error.  The weather is getting colder now and just like you, I will have to attempt to sort all this out this year, so I can ave a better grip on it next year.

but be very careful opening that door...that's all I ask.  Best to be safe while saving money.   :thumbup:

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Husquvarna 455 Rancher

tbone

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 09:39:30 AM »

I just keep a coat for OWB service in the basement. Knit hat too. Stoke boiler before shower in the morning. Doesn't seen to be a big deal for me.
What he said...got a knockoff carhart dedicated to owb service only hanging in the basement.
Stihl 460
Stihl pro 360
Honda 27 ton splitter
Ford 350 with hoist

donahuej

• OWF Brand: American Royal
  • OWF Model: 7300
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 11:40:51 AM »

Dedicated smoking jacket is my answer....

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 11:52:57 AM »

i do as others  a work jacket  check stove in morning before shower used to being in the smoke from working my honey bees in the summer and last i work at a prison so if i do smell of smoke the inmates dont whant to be near me but then again a good fart takes care of that  ;D ;D ;D gary
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029
Pages: [1] 2