Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Wood shed  (Read 5667 times)

woodywoodchucker

• OWF Brand: cental boiler
  • OWF Model: classic 5036
  • what do I look like, an idiot?
    • View Profile
Wood shed
« on: January 05, 2012, 05:27:38 PM »

This spring I'm planning on building a wood shed. I would like to have the boiler inside and insulate around the part the boiler would be in. To one side of the boiler I want to build a chicken coop. My thought is that there must be heat loss with the boiler outside. If I can contain some of that heat I think the boiler would be way more eficant. May have to make a cold air intake for the furnace but I think it can work. Anyone done this? Any thoughts?

Ridgekid

Re: Wood shed
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 05:31:49 PM »

You'll be hard pressed looking for heat escaping from a CB!  When I see snow accumulate on top it's apparent it's well insulated. 

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 05:47:49 PM »

i do believe that no matter how well insulated they (OWB) are, in a shed that protects them from the wind will help

no matter what R value you have a home insulated to it will heat easier on calm cold days than windy cold days

i am not certain it will be much but it can't hurt...and it makes it a lot nicer for loading on those windy days and nights. also with a nice sized shed your wood can be inside and not covered with snow and ice and that has to help save some btu's too
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

woodywoodchucker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 06:06:04 PM »

And hey,don't forget the chickens. They'll be all hutteled up near Woody for heat. The wood storage area well be 16x20 and the overall will be 16x32. In the 12' part I well have room for 6 chicks. My Kioti tracker  and all my wood cutting and burning stuff.

Tigrod

• OWF Brand: HeatMore
  • OWF Model: 400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 06:26:17 PM »

I am in the process of building a shed also. Got sick of shoveling four feet of snow of the top of the tarp over my wood in front of the boiler.

Well worth getting away from the agrivatoin

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 06:30:03 PM »

Welcome to the site Tigrod
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

MTJAG

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL5036
  • CB 5036, Husky 450, Montana 2740 4WD,100% off grid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 08:21:38 PM »

I am in the process of building a shed also. Got sick of shoveling four feet of snow of the top of the tarp over my wood in front of the boiler.

Well worth getting away from the agrivatoin

Aren't you going to miss all that snow that falls down your coat when you are moving it from over your head?  Boy, I especially like that on those cold mornings before the sun comes up! :bash:
"a man is no fool to give up what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose"

woodywoodchucker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 07:04:19 PM »

Im thinking that if i had 5 cord of wood being heated and dryed by the furnace.There has to be a savings in wood used during the year.I would think a cord or so.Changed my mind about the chickens. Theyll be fine in a unheated shelter.

fryedaddy

• OWF Brand: Hicks Water Stove
  • OWF Model: 750 Gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 09:05:34 AM »

Hey guy's I'm new here but noticed the comments about a shed.

The type of stove I have requires a shed but i really enjoy it. I can get out of the rain and store a winters worth of wood it needed.

johnybcold

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 11:26:25 AM »

Those chicken farts could turn into BTUs just find a way to funnel then into the CB
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

Ohiowood

• OWF Brand: Central boiler
  • OWF Model: E-classic1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 12:17:48 PM »

Here is my set up. CB insulates very well, snow will sit on top of it, and the thermal pex lines that run into the house never show signs of heat loss! Snow, frozen ground  over them all winter.

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]

husky 555

• OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 01:00:02 PM »

First year I had my furnace it was open to the elements.  Second year had 16 x 20 pole building built.  Much nicer being under roof and out of the wind, rain, and snow.  I have several rows of stacked dry wood within arms reach.  The only minor down side I have is that smoke can build up as I am loading and cleaning the furnace.

dwneast77

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler; Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300; HE10000
    • View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 08:36:43 PM »

I've always had my CB2300 covered.  I could not imagine it otherwise.  Just the few days last year (while under re-construction), I had the roof off and it snowed about a foot.  What a mess.  Re-enforced my feelings of having it covered in.  Smoke is the only drawback.  A good exaust fan helps a lot.  But even still, I'm located on a main road and have had the fire department called twice due to smoke billowing out the building during cleaning.  My unit has had (until last year) a problem with excessive creosote/tar buildup in the bottom of the firebox.  When I try to stir it up or shovel it out it smokes horrendously. 

Now on the heat factor, I don't find that there is much heat to be had escaping into the enclosure.  There will probably be some and it will be noticably nicer than standing outside.  I am set up to heat greenhouses.  They are not running now, but hot water is flowing through the main header assembly (inside my enclosure) that feeds the greenhouses.  Those headers are not insulated in any way at this point and never have been.  I get just enough heat loss from that system to be just noticable in cold weather.  In fairness, the building has a metal roof with no sheething underneath it and the walls are only covered with plastic. 

One idea I'd like to share with regard to building design is this.  One other guy local to me built his structure around his boiler.  His walls appear to be a total of, I think, 10' tall with the first 8' sheethed in.  The upper 1 to 2 feet of the wall is open under the roof line allowing good ventilation while tending the fire, and also good air flow to help dry the wood stored in there.
Eastern Maine (near Calais)
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
Craftsman 27 ton Splitter
JD 870 Tractor