Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: hardy question  (Read 8127 times)

walkerdogman85

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
hardy question
« on: March 04, 2012, 04:10:04 AM »

I am going to purchase a hardy in a few days and I have a question how many folks like there hardy and how many cords do you burn and do you have alot of smoke issues. I am going to be heating a ranch home 1608 square feet main floor and then the basement 1600 and possibly my uninsulated attached garage. In the future I plan on building a detached garage also. I am looking at the h4 the dealer says the h2 would heat just my house no detached garage but he says that the h4 will also do it.do you think that the h4 is to big for now or would it just last longer on a fill of wood.
Michael West
Central Ohio

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: hardy question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 07:48:43 AM »

It's a hardy, so there is no secondary burn of gases in the top as the chimney exits the highest point.  This results in a poor efficient and smokey burn.  I'm not knocking the stove as they seem to be reliable, however they do tend to use more wood and smoke pretty bad.  Several people I know have
Hardys and most of them burn like 8-10 cord here in ky where other stoves may burn 4-6. 

There is just no getting around the fact that having your stack exit the highest point in the firebox kills efficiency, other models have a baffle or actually have the chimney drop down really low in the firebox to trap smoke/gases from the wood to kinda burn off some of the smoke.

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

walkerdogman85

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 08:39:02 AM »

hey scott i sent you a pm before i saw this message it was regarding the same questions but thanks for answering my questions, the problem is that the other dealers are so far away from me and getting one would be a problem i would think.
Michael West
Central Ohio

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 09:10:20 AM »

hey scott i sent you a pm before i saw this message it was regarding the same questions but thanks for answering my questions, the problem is that the other dealers are so far away from me and getting one would be a problem i would think.

There appears to be a couple dealers within an hour of you.  If you go to the Heatmaster website and click on contact it will show you your local dealers. 

I'm not saying you have to go see em or anything like that but when your shoppIng it's good to look around and learn as much as possible. 

Get out and look around and you'll learn more and make a more informed decision, go with the dealer you feel most comfortable with. 

As I said, the hardys seem to be reliable but there are several brands that have came a long way since the design of hardy.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Bull

• OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 12:53:35 PM »

walkerdogman85, I have a Hardy H2 and I love it. I over work it a lot and it does a great job. The reason I love it is due to the small amount of money I have in it. If I were going to buy a new OWB I would get something more efficient. Like Scott said Hardy is not the best idea out there but they are good. They are one of the oldest brands but others have passed them up in efficiency. Just my 2 cents
Bill 
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

walkerdogman85

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 02:04:05 PM »

Bull can you post pics of your h2 just so i can see it thanks
Michael West
Central Ohio

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 02:08:44 PM »

Bull can you post pics of your h2 just so i can see it thanks

His is in his avatar....   He re did his and added insulation, I think he says that it helped it out as the factory insulation on them isnt a lot
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 03:21:55 PM »

I am going to purchase a hardy in a few days
walkerdogman,
   I see from the EPA's site that Hardy now has 2 models that are gasifiers. Are you looking at one of those, or are you more likely to consider a conventional one?
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 03:24:49 PM »

Interesting you say that Marty, they had one at the show

You can go to the company website and there is no mention of them anywhere.  Not sure why?
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

TheBoiler

• OWF Brand: Garn
  • OWF Model: WHS2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 05:11:26 PM »

Probably the Pellet Boiler.

Bull

• OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 07:46:15 PM »

I have before and during pictures in the Hardy section.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

boilerman

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 09:26:25 PM »

This time, I would agree with Scott. The Hardy is a long time player in the owf industry. Their units have many users with warm houses and satisfied owners. However, what most of the owners may or may not realize is that their old design technolgy is very inefficient and those owners are burning much more wood than necessary, leading to many more loadings of those furnaces than other units may require. I think Scott is right on, in that old design is burning twice the wood of todays more innovative models. The lack of good baffling leads to excess smoke and literally flames and heat loss out the chimney. This kind of performance is what is leading to neighborhood complaints and  EPA Phase 2 demands. Yes it appears Hardy has 2 units now listed as qualifying models on the EPA website but note that they are both rated at 77,000 btu and less. Your listed demands may need more output capability than that.  Again, I advocate looking at other models as well before investing your money. Search multiple brand websites and use their dealer locators. You may be surprised by how many dealers are just a short drive away. Don't just buy off price, physically look at the models features, open the doors, check them out and find what it the best for you long term.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 09:37:01 PM »

Boiler man, that's pretty much what I told him in a private message.  That talking to owners seems good but most of them fail to realize there burning wayyy to much wood and simply don't know any different.

The video I placed in the hardy section is a good example of the lack off efficiency causing a lot of smoke and obvious complaints.  I think the new h4 has a little plate that hangs below the stack but it's a far cry from what's needed.

Hardy is a hard stove to discredit from the "does it work" stand point, because yes they work, there is just a lot of others that work as well on half the fuel, not causing angry neighbors
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

walkerdogman85

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 09:05:35 AM »

thanks for the info i called a central boiler and he said i would need the classic 5036 and the price was quite higher and he said that he couldnt tell me that it was going to smoke less than the hardy i also have been hearing on here that the gassers are pretty picky about wood and they seem to have a hard time getting them to burn i guess i dont know what to do i am limited on the funds that i have but i know that i dont want to keep buying electric.
Michael West
Central Ohio

TheBoiler

• OWF Brand: Garn
  • OWF Model: WHS2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 02:13:06 PM »

The first Garn I saw the guy was felling and feeding the same day, had no reserve built up.

Obviously he used a lot more wood than he would have done with a seasoned supply.

But that is the same for any Boiler.
Pages: [1] 2