Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: recovery time  (Read 6472 times)

muffin

• View Profile
recovery time
« on: March 05, 2012, 07:58:01 AM »

I am having some issues with me CB6048.  When I am bad and let the fire die down to far, it seems to take a really long time to recover.  For instance, the other day it had died down a bit.  There where still plenty of coals, but really no chunks of wood.  The water temp had dropped to 155.  I raked it real good and filled it up.  My wood is pretty green and i keep it in large peices, 24" long by ~8".  After an hour, it was oly up to 160.  The weather was very mild, it was like 60 outside.  I had turned the pool off so it only had the occasional house heat call.  i did not get a fix on when it finally recovered, but I would really expect it to recover in under and hour with little load.  I also have the blower kit which would seem to aid this if anything.  i do have a good bit of ash in the bottom right now, it is probably due for a cleaning out.  Any thoughts?  Is this normal?  I would guess it was fully recovered in 2 hrs.

johnybcold

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
Re: recovery time
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 10:39:59 AM »

What is the chamber temp when this happens? If the chamber temp is low that tells you it might be because of the green wood taking to burn , your using heat to dry  I find it works best by keeping it full so the greener wood has time to dry out before it hits the bottom
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »

The chamber temp is HOT.  I do not know.  I have no sensor in the chamber.  Is there a good way to read this?

johnybcold

• OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 02:58:43 PM »

Hopefully someone else will jump in here, I have only had mine for about 6 months but it has a digital panel that gives me the chamber and water temp
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

hddmax66

• OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 03:24:43 PM »

The classic models dont have a chamber temp

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 03:32:34 PM »

muffin,
   When it's down that low, throw dry wood in and it will recover very quickly. It's never a good idea to use green wood. I have a few of friends with the 6048 and they have the same issues with wetter wood. You can burn it, but you'll need to add wood often to maintain a good coal bed and keep the excessive smoke to a minimum.

johnnybcold,
   His boiler is an old school conventional(non-gasser) work horse compared to yours. He can only monitor the water temperature.
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

hddmax66

• OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 03:50:37 PM »

I dont know for sure how this works?? 400 gallons x 8(weight of gallon of water)=3200 which i think would be the amount of btu to raise 400 gallons one degree x that by 30( degree raise) = 96,000 btu to heat water to temp. i guess heat loss out the chimney would also need to be calculated. 30% maybe idk. So id add 30,000 btu to that number which would equal 130,000 btu. Is this any close to being right? Central boiler rated these stoves at 500,000 btu per hour which im assuming is in absolute perfect conditions. so at a unrealistic 500,000 btu per hour would heat the 400 gallons of water to temp in 15 mins. Even at half the rating at 250,000 btu per hour would be 30 mins?

I know a few people on here know these calculations real well. i hope they will help me with this math problem

boilerman

• OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 05:14:55 PM »

If you let your furnace burn down to just a coal bed and throw 24" long x 8" diameter green wood in that furnace. It will take hours before that wood can even burn. Up to  half the btu potential will  be wasted just drying the wood out so it can even burn. Once you get the wood to a decent burn state, you are finally going to start heating that 400 gallons back up to your set point. There is nothing wrong with your furnace. If you find it has burned down that far, you need a pile of smaller seasoned wood kept off to the side that can be used in the lower third of the new loading anyway.

dwneast77

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler; Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300; HE10000
    • View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 07:16:51 AM »

I agree with Boilerman.  I'm running CB E-Classic 2300 (with some modifications) and Wood Doctor HE-10000, both gassers, but I find when I let them run down to coals adding a couple of good arm loads of small diameter well seasoned wood to the bottom of the pile helps a great deal.  I've burned my share of green wood and had very similar problems.
Eastern Maine (near Calais)
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
Craftsman 27 ton Splitter
JD 870 Tractor

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 08:57:38 AM »

muffin,
   When it's down that low, throw dry wood in and it will recover very quickly. It's never a good idea to use green wood. I have a few of friends with the 6048 and they have the same issues with wetter wood. You can burn it, but you'll need to add wood often to maintain a good coal bed and keep the excessive smoke to a minimum.

johnnybcold,
   His boiler is an old school conventional(non-gasser) work horse compared to yours. He can only monitor the water temperature.

Guess I will have to wait till next year.  This is my first season and I am cutting the wood as fast as I can to keep my wood pile so it is pretty green.  I hope to get a year ahead of myself this summer so it will have some time to season.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 10:00:14 AM »

muffin,

johnnybcold,

If your cutting today and burning that fast no wonder your having issues.  When you want to put a fire out you spray water on it, the green wood is full of water

Guess I will have to wait till next year.  This is my first season and I am cutting the wood as fast as I can to keep my wood pile so it is pretty green.  I hope to get a year ahead of myself this summer so it will have some time to season.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »

muffin,

johnnybcold,

Are you cutting live trees?

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 09:24:08 AM »

I do not have a forest to cut from, so I get my wood delivered in pole lengths.  They are fairly green; some more than others.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 03:07:33 PM »

Got natural draft? If so..Your wood its too wet...Fire isn't hot enough to reheat the OWB water..Try getting dry seasoned wood/ pallets or  anything..from somewhere..mix it with the wet wood..Should give you a nice bed a coals..Burning wet wood with these crazy temps have you have a creosote problem?
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

mw10737

• OWF Brand: Empyre
  • OWF Model: 250 Deluxe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 08:06:39 PM »

Guys,  I pretty much been cutting trees out of fench rows and burning them.  But the empyre dont seem to mind, havent had much of any issues burning wet wood compared to seasoned wood.  Its amazing that the heat you can get out of what we all call"junk wood"  i have burned dry wood this winter, but i would say 90% of the time its been wet.. Just saying with my enmpyre it dont take much recovery time at all.  But this is a non gasser unit.  that may be the diffirence.
Empyre Deluxe 250( NON-GASSER)
MS660 Magnum-36"
MS271-20"
018C-14"
2007 GMC Crew Cab Duramax
Plainfield, Iowa
Pages: [1] 2