Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Help Adding a 1/2" feed heat exchanger to a 1" feed single loop system  (Read 2574 times)

clydem

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 5036
    • View Profile

I have a single loop system all 1" pex  (From Boiler-HW Heater-Modine Heater-Return to boiler).

I need to heat a additional room with wall mount fan forced heater that has 1/2" feed & return lines. How do I add this appliance to my system and not choke down the flow of my current system? 

thanks
Clyde
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 08:31:21 PM by clydem »
CB5036    inst: 11/20/11
Stihl MS280C  WOODPECKER 24T Log Splitter
JD 4600,  G27 IWB
Michigan's Thumb north of Port Huron

'When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.'

Member: MGO, USCCA, MCRGO, GOA, GSSF, NRA,

Trint

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ml 30
    • View Profile
Re: Help Adding a 1/2" feed heat exchanger to a 1" feed single loop system
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 07:25:54 PM »

If you don't need full flow for it, add it in parallel somewhere along the line, with hot water or return line are probably better than with the heater.  In other words tee it off the line, my hot water is hooked up that way.
North Central Ohio

HandyMark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 07:32:47 PM »

Seems to me you would want a way to control the flow through that room via thermostat. My initial thought is tee off the main line, through a small pump, through the room heater and back. If it is pulling much heat I would probably do all this after my water heater.

ThatGUY

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: eClassic 2400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 08:13:38 AM »

Have you thought about the use of closely spaced tees, especially if the load is no that large and then you would be able to controler via a thermostat, pump and relay

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 02:05:41 PM »

Like you have in your diagram should work but you will lose some flow through the rest of the system that is is bypassing. If you add a pump and put both supply and return lines on the same pipe close together it won't.

If you are going very far to the wall mount heater, I would use 3/4" pex instead of 1/2" to feed it.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 03:30:54 PM »

Any time your adding something and your worried about it reducing flow "close t's" can allow you to add the appliance without disrupting flow.  Place 2 pex t's back to back in your supply, just place a small pump, in the line going to the appliance, and have it kick on when that appliance needs to make heat, go through the appliance and right back to the other T .  This is a great way
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697