Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: h4 went out???  (Read 9832 times)

walkerdogman85

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
Re: h4 went out???
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 09:41:44 AM »

no my pump only runs when the house calls for heat as for the insulation i believe that it is good but my guess is the pine also cause it doesnt leave many coals. also the pine has been c/s/s since early this spring it weighs less than when i cut it
Michael West
Central Ohio

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 09:58:17 AM »

ok.  I run my pump 24/7 on my setup.  I don't have very well insulated lines and my house isn't insulated very well so it calls for heat more than normal.

I am guessing that I have a lot of heat loss in the lines so my owb probably cycles more than it should, so it never goes out. 

Have you tried loading the wood to the very back of the stove so that it's closer to the blower? I really think that the pine is your issue though, maybe someone that has burnt pine will chime in soon. 

Also, when I empty my ashes I make a little pile like right in the middle of the ash pan so that when the blower kicks on it blows right onto the ashes and they get bright red.  Maybe try this? 

What is your aquastat set at?
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

husky 555

• OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 10:24:02 AM »

So for this season I have been burning mostly Hemlock but I also mix it with two or three pieces Red Oak.  To date, I have had no problems and usually have a nice bed of coals by the time I get home from work.   
Currently, I run my pump 24/7 which lets my furnace cycle more often.  When winter sets in, I will change my pump to come on when the house calls for heat.

fryedaddy

• OWF Brand: Hicks Water Stove
  • OWF Model: 750 Gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 11:40:08 AM »

I'm a little confused....Was the wood bridged when you went outside or just burnt up?

I've never had a problem with bridging but I have used pine. If your using only pine
it burns a lot quicker than hardwood.

I use pine in my stove and haven't had problems with the fire going out. I have had
problems with the wood burning up and my fan will stay on blowing cold air into
my firebox cooling the water temp.

I installed a timer on my blower. I pack my stove (2) times a day and set the timer for
8hrs. The timer is setup to power the Aquastat. The Aquastat will work normally cutting
the fan on and off until the timer has ran out of time.

walkerdogman85

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 12:09:52 PM »

the wood wasnt bridged it just burnt out i usually load it in the evening and i leave both the ash door and the main door open and get the fire really going but last night the blower was on so i just loaded and walked in the house no big deal just curious. i have hardwood just wanted to burn the pine up since i have acess to a bunch of it and other than the few times it went out it does great
Michael West
Central Ohio

m-44

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: hardy
  • OWF Model: h-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 08:13:57 PM »

I have had same problem in past, started mixing the pine with hard wood , seldom have fire to go out anymore.

d conover

• OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 05:39:47 AM »

Here is my opinion, after having used a Hardy for 14 years.  You said the wood was still sitting there just like you put it in there. right?

Pine burns hot and fast, so I think it heated the water up so fast it shut the blower down before any coals could form.  The water stayed hot long enough that the fire went completely out before the fan kicked back on.  As others have mentioned you need a bed of coals all the time. 

I don't know about the pine you have, but Missouri pine is not going to give you that.   I burn a little of everything but I always make sure I have enough seasoned oak or hickory mixed in. to keep that bed of coals.

I also don't clean my ash pan completely out, I make sure the ashes stay below the grates, and leave ashes along the edges on  top of the grates. 
Southeast Missouri
Hardy H4
044 Stihl
038 Stihl
5100s Dolmar
55R husqvarna
CS301 Echo

walkerdogman85

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, 07:07:24 PM »

I took both screws out of the blower cover and seems to be fine for now and that's what my friend does plus he has a paper clip under it also. I dint notice any difference in burn time either
Michael West
Central Ohio

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2012, 07:16:44 PM »

I took both screws out of the blower cover and seems to be fine for now and that's what my friend does plus he has a paper clip under it also. I dint notice any difference in burn time either
i would question why you had to do this? The stove was not made to operate this way when built and i am going to guess this stove did not operate this way in the past?

you say you now have taken the cover off so there is no longer any restiction on how air gets into the stove through the blower? if this is correct i am unsure why you dont have a runaway fire to the point of overflow (boil)
have you looked at the air passage between the fan and where the air enters the stove? (perhaps there is creosete buildup partially blocking the passage?) having to change the way a stove was built to get it to burn seems quite strange to me
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

walkerdogman85

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2012, 07:37:47 PM »

There are two breather holes in the plate the covers  the blower it had one open and one plugged I took both screws out to allow just a bit more air while on idle. The blower cover is still there if I think about it ill post a pic so you can see hope I didn't offend you by the way I explained it this is all new to me mabye that's why I am having the troubles lol
Michael West
Central Ohio

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 07:50:27 PM »

you havent offended me, ii just did not understand teh removal of the screws, i thought that meant you removed teh cover  completely (my misunderstanding)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada
Pages: 1 [2]