Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Poll

What is the best manufacturer in terms of cost, quality, efficiency, length of burn, and reliability?

Central Boiler
- 1 (16.7%)
Johnson
- 0 (0%)
Heatmor
- 2 (33.3%)
Woodmaster
- 2 (33.3%)
Hardy
- 0 (0%)
Natures Comfort
- 1 (16.7%)
Aqua-Therm
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: July 22, 2009, 03:36:22 PM

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The absolute Best Outdoor Wood Furnace  (Read 11429 times)

dmcianfa

• View Profile
The absolute Best Outdoor Wood Furnace
« on: June 22, 2009, 03:36:31 PM »

Hello all and I hope I can get some useful information on a possible purchase from knowledgable folks with experience in these wood furnace mfgs. 

I am looking at buying an OWF for my farmstead and cannot decide on which manufacturer to go with.  I know I would like one that is capable of heating 3000 square feet of space through a forced air heat exchanger and provide hot water as well.  Although the house is approx. 2500 sq ft I would like to heat a portion of a small outbuilding for working in too in a northern Wisconsin location, where some winters can be long and brutal.  I would appreciate a vote for one of these furnaces on the list, which are ones with dealers and service close to my home, and if you can offer a model # that you may like or advice that would be superb as well.  Ideally, I think a gasification model would be more efficient and provide greater lengths between fills, but I'm not sure.  Thanks for all your input and happy voting!!!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 03:45:57 PM by dmcianfa »

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: The absolute Best Outdoor Wood Furnace
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 07:28:35 PM »

I would like to heat a portion of a small outbuilding for working in too in a northern Wisconsin location, where some winters can be long and brutal. 

I can't vote on your poll as i have no favorite of any model but i would suggest if you dont have fire insurance on your outer bulding that you put your stove in this building (or ask if they will insure you if you put it inside)

I have found from many OWB owners including myself that if you have your stove protected from the harsh winds (even though they are insulated) that you will burn less wood
I have my stove and my wood pile in a small steel shed, it makes loading the stove in bad weather much more enjoyable...dry wood..my old body is out of the wind and snow

there are just so many reasons to keep your stove, your wood and your  body dry and i can't think of any reason to leave the thing outdoors

i know one gent who claims he saved wood just by putting a home made snow fence 8 feet high around his stove on the west and north side (how true this is i have no way of knowing)

good luck with your poll
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

jon d

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 09:31:29 PM »

I'm burning a cb5036 in central ky. Heating a 2000sqft home and 1000 sqft. shop.(2-forced air furnaces, 2 water heaters.) Researched all available owb's. Very happy with central boiler..Looking at other sites,, I've noticed little difference in wood usage between regular owb and gasifiers. I may be wrong.  I've never had to fill more than every 12-hours. I do wish I'd enclosed the area surrounding the boiler. I'd agree with willie that it will make a difference.
jon d
Hawesville, Kentucky
Central boiler 5036 installed in 09

Guru

• View Profile
    • Mike's Advanced Heating
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 06:58:12 AM »

I don't see the best OWB listed ::)  Please add Nature's Comfort to the list and I will make my vote.

Thanks,
Mike
Nature's Comfort Territory Manager
Caro MI
http://www.mikesadvancedheating.com/

dmcianfa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 08:25:33 AM »

I don't see the best OWB listed ::)  Please add Nature's Comfort to the list and I will make my vote.

Thanks,

I am very interesting in NC, being that they build them right here in wisconsin.  Can you tell my why you feel the way you do about yours and how long you've had it as well as details of your heating and how much you go through.

eco-extend

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 11:50:34 AM »

no i think you guys are all wrong you forgot aqua-therm there are a few on here that have an aqua-therm and they will tell yea what they think of there aqua-therm (so please add aqua-therm)

jon d

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 07:05:41 PM »

Most all of owb users are very happy with their own boiler/furnace. In my area i work with 2 central boiler users, 2 Hardy and 1 aqua-therm. All are happy. All are alittle different in some ways. Good luck!! :)
jon d
Hawesville, Kentucky
Central boiler 5036 installed in 09

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 06:32:05 AM »

I'm real happy with my Hardy H5.  I've gone on at great legnth in other posts about the things I do or do not like about it.

WillieG always points out that he has experience only with the type of furnace that he has.  I am the same way and feel it is important to point that out. 

That said, the pros of the Hardy definately outweigh the cons.
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

giXXer

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 12:24:38 PM »

I also have very little personal experience with other makes of stoves other than word of mouth and what can be found on the internet.  Sometimes it's difficult to sift through the B.S., especially after someone spends $8,000-$12,000 on a unit.  It's not on the list, but I love my Hawken HE-2100.  Actually, the reason I followed a link to this site was to read a customer complaint about a Hawken stove.  I was not surprised to find out it was a Stainless model and also not surprised by the, well, let's just say the "attitude" or gripes from the individual.  Even God himself cannot make 10% of the world's population happy, how can you expect an OWB company to.  I'll be completely honest, I absolutely love my stove, but the buying experience was a catastrophe!  If I had to go through the same experience I would not buy a Hawken again.  However, I have heard of a few great dealers with happy customers so research the dealer and make sure there is a certain comfort level before plunking down 12 grand.  I will say this, as soon as Hawken knew about my dealer problem they solved it the very next day and also called several times to ask if I was happy and if I needed anything to give them a call.

The reasons I like the stove is I can pack it full for an approximate 24 hour burn (depending on a lot of typical "wood burning" variables; ambient temp, wind, type of wood, etc.) or load it twice per day, like I typically do.  I went on a snowmobiling trip last year and loaded the burner Thursday night and when I returned Sunday at midnight the fire was still glowing.  The reason, of course, was no hot water was used, the T-stat was turned down, and I opened the bypass so water was not circulating to the garage or workshop.  It also has the dual outlet which is convenient because the size (almost 400 gallons) allows a multitude of heating options, up to as much as 10,000 S.F.  The main reason I love it:  my propane tank was filled in September 2008, it still reads 90%.  I saved $3,600 in propane from August 08-August 09 and the house is no longer a chilly 66-68 degrees.  I no longer have to time showers or constantly fight my wife over the T-stat setting.  The house is always 72-73 in the winter.  Now I just have to get used to wearing shorts instead of flannels.  :)

billyst75

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 02:30:46 PM »

This is very useful information about wood burners stoves. It is impressive to see how efficient these can be without electricity or gas. Thanks guys.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 06:33:20 PM »

Shewww...  That's loaded. 

Proper install is just as important if not more important than the stove.  Also don't be fooled into just because I had a dealer do it, that it was done correctly.  I encourage you to do your research and find a dealer who is actively involved in the industry and doesn't do this as a side gig or something like that. 

There are many good brands, and many that are junk. 

There is no magical stove, I'm sorry.  When you start comparing top brands like woodmaster, heatmaster, heatmaster, central boiler, empyre, your looking at all good stuff.  Your then looking at preferences, maybe you prefer stainless, maybe you don't.  Maybe you prefer grates, maybe you don't? 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

franky1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 07:57:05 AM »

Portageandmainboilers.com
they have a very good line of stoves
very impressed

Firechaser

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 12:28:23 PM »

I too only have experience with my stove. That being said it is a 3 year old Portage And Main ML 30 and its great.
Tony
ML30
Husky 455

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 07:49:07 PM »

This is such a bias topic on whats the best OWB..I can sit here and say Aqua-Them is the best..And the next guy can sit here and say Central is the best..and the next guy says Portage&Main is the best etc,etc..Being that said,they all designed to do one thing..Heat water..Yes some designs have better quirks like digital temp settings etc ,etc..Like Scott7m said the proper install it probably the biggest thing than the stove itself...
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 08:43:43 PM »

Yea matty, one is not really going to learn much from this besides what brands of stoves the members own lol  :thumbup:
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697
Pages: [1] 2