Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: CB3200 Leaking  (Read 11303 times)

Handyman2012

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler 3200
  • OWF Model: 3200
    • View Profile
CB3200 Leaking
« on: December 08, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »

My son and I installed the CB3200 last September (2011) Made it through first heating season just fine. Of late my son noticed that he had to top off the water every 10 days or so using about 10 gallons of water. I suggested that he clean the firebox out and check for leaks in the seams. Well he did. Every welded seam in the firebox is leaking. Not just a little but running constantly.
He contacted Central Boiler. He was told that he would have to SHIP the boiler BACK to CB and pay 4800$ to have it repaired!!!!!!  If one reads the manual, the warranty is 10 years on the tank. Has anyone else had a problem like this? My son has had to switch his heating back to NG (Thank Heavens he did not have it removed) and is seriously considering legal action. He has over $30,000 invested and has only seen one season.

snakedriver

Re: CB3200 Leaking
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 02:06:33 PM »

What a distressing turn. I hate to heat of the problems. It is a large investment initially and now this. He should pursue every avenue for satisfaction.  The warranty should cover this in my mind. Central Boiler should be anxious to accommodate whatever is needed. One season? Why would they attempt to not cover their product?  It is the beginning of the end if not. Please keep us posted.

Yooper

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 02:22:50 PM »

Central Boiler is the biggest maker of outdoor boilers.  I've been considering one for a bit.  There is a dealer about 10 miles down the road from me.

After reading this post, I looked at the Central Boiler website.  Most companies that build boilers brag about their great welds.  I saw none of this in their literature.  They only slammed stainless steel, no doubt to discourage purchasers of their close competitor, Heatmor.  Then I browsed the web a bit.  It looks like Central Boiler has a big problem with welds.  I saw a lot of complaints of leaks.  I wonder if their factory is automated with robot welders or whether the welding is done by hand.

Since they are the biggest in the business, it would be expected that there would be some more complaints about their product, but there seems to be a disproportionate amount.  I also know a guy who bought one of their units and had bad welds.

These complaints are bad advertising for potential customers like me.  These things are expensive and labor intensive to install, I'm thinking most potential buyers will check out websites like this one prior to making a purchase.  I hope Central Boiler has a change in position and will pay for some welding on site.  Good luck!

MrDan27611

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: ML42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 08:08:56 PM »

One of the reasons I purchased my Portage and Main recently was the double welded seams for just this reason.

However, when I filled my new boiler for the first time, there was a leak in a weld on the exhaust. I didn't catch that ALL welds are not double welded, oh well. Not a big leak, and not a big deal, but the boiler was brand new. I contacted P&M. I received a one page warranty form, and a request for pics of the leak. I had a certified welder come out and fix the spot and P&M is sending me a check to reimburse me for his labor. No issues, no arguing with P&M. Pretty good warranty in my opinion.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
Mark Twain

dwneast77

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler; Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300; HE10000
    • View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 09:43:10 PM »

I have a 2008 CB E-2300.  This past Feb. I found my first leak.  At the end of May when I was shutting it down I discovered another leak.  Neither one was hard to fix for me.  Another guy I know has the same boiler and had to replace a huge section of the right side wall, same model and year as mine, and leaked out the same time as my first leak.  A relative of mine had a CB that he decided to get rid of the same year I installed mine, older style non-gasser.  We had already ordered and paid for our unit before we talked with him.  But he had a leak in his at 6 years old and he was not happy with CB's warranty.  They wanted him to pay for shipping also. 
I've also had a lot of trouble with my primary air channel and ended up replacing with my own design and a welders help.  I noticed another post by someone with a 1 year old 3200 and their air channel was falling apart as well.  I'm not too happy with CB.
If I were to buy another unit, I think it would be a P&M.  I'm actually really interested in the P&M chip burner.  A pretty hefty price tag though at $30k
Eastern Maine (near Calais)
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
Craftsman 27 ton Splitter
JD 870 Tractor

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 05:42:24 AM »

Did they give any reason for not covering it?

Jack72

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-1450 (11)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 05:12:53 PM »

My son and I installed the CB3200 last September (2011) Made it through first heating season just fine. Of late my son noticed that he had to top off the water every 10 days or so using about 10 gallons of water. I suggested that he clean the firebox out and check for leaks in the seams. Well he did. Every welded seam in the firebox is leaking. Not just a little but running constantly.
He contacted Central Boiler. He was told that he would have to SHIP the boiler BACK to CB and pay 4800$ to have it repaired!!!!!!  If one reads the manual, the warranty is 10 years on the tank. Has anyone else had a problem like this? My son has had to switch his heating back to NG (Thank Heavens he did not have it removed) and is seriously considering legal action. He has over $30,000 invested and has only seen one season.

Handyman

Any updates on your issue from Central Boiler.         If they dont cover this totally thats not right.        Makes me glad that I went with central boiler for my stove if they cant make it right for you.  My gosh its only a year old.     Seriously they told you $4800    They should come to your house for free and unhook you bought their most expensive stove they sell.    I just cant believe that   :bash: :bash: :bash:   We should take up a collection for your lawyer.       
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern Tool 25 ton Splitter

dwneast77

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler; Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300; HE10000
    • View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 08:44:42 PM »

A collection for Jack and anyone who bought the E-2300 as well.  Myself and 2 others that I know of in my small area are falling apart.  Ridiculous #'s of repairs already and mine is only a 2008. 
Eastern Maine (near Calais)
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
Craftsman 27 ton Splitter
JD 870 Tractor

Jack72

• OWF Model: E-1450 (11)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 11:16:56 AM »

A collection for Jack and anyone who bought the E-2300 as well.  Myself and 2 others that I know of in my small area are falling apart.  Ridiculous #'s of repairs already and mine is only a 2008.

No collection for me yet         Im still good with my 1450  Knock on wood.                       
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern Tool 25 ton Splitter

johnybcold

• OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »

Crap. I hate hearing about warranty issues with CB my unit is a year old no issues yet, but I would flip if I had to turn my oil on after all the time and money I got into this thing.  Any updates on this?
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 02:28:04 PM »

Like johnb, I too would flip if after a few years my OWB sprung a leak.  With the money we dish out, you'd think it would be pretty much bullet proof.  Maybe at years end when I perform the year end cleaning for summer storage, I'll be a bit more anal about getting the corners cleared of caked on creosote regardless of how difficult it is to remove.  And, I'll be checking the ph and nitrites every year.  I cannot afford to install a new OWB every few years.  Paranoid?  Dang right!  It's too much money NOT to pay attention to details. 

Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

boilerman

• OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 08:30:04 PM »

I think the best warranty with any brand OWF is "our own maintenance and care" to avoid a problem in the first place. Most all of these warranties are not bumper to bumper, but a "limited manufacture defect warranty". Probably in most cases meaning a leaking or cracked weld. Which I would think would show itself early during the first season of use as the metal expands and contracts. After that, most problems will probably arise due to lack of proper maintenance or bad burning practices. I too feel it is important to keep the creosote scraped off the firebox walls, corners and joints, not allowing it to build up over periods of time trapping moister and excellerating corossion problems. Over the 10 plus years of burning my standard and gasser CB's I've never had or noticed any corossion problems and I would like to think it is because of my time and attention spent to cleaning and proper burning. I've looked at many OWF brands warranties and the "small print" all reads pretty similiar. Stating they are not responsible for damage caused by owners improper operation/maintenance/water treatment care, etc.  Many "require" that the owner send a water sample from their OWF in to the manufacture every 6 months or warranty is void. Electrical components, pumps, etc. fall back on those manufacture warranties. So again my feeling is it is back on us as owners to protect our own investments.

Pit Crew

• OWF Brand: Centeral Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 03:42:50 AM »

Boilerman, what would be some bad burning practices?  I`m good on the cleaning and maint. part. Dont need any problems  if I can help.
North east Ohio
Since 1960

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 04:11:38 AM »

Boilerman - Great write up.  I find as the temps get colder, my creosote build up is less.  This warm weather the creosote collect especially in the primary air holes - that's the main reason for the weekly probing.  There are some areas where trying to remove the creosote with the metal hoe CB provides is impossible to reach.  One area that comes to mind it the area where the by-pass door is located - it's angled away from the fire box door making it impossible to reach with the hoe.   

I wonder if it would provide any protection if I sprayed some high temp paint on all corners in the firebox?  In my simple mind, it would help keep the moisture collected in the creosote from direct contact with the welds.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

fryedaddy

• OWF Brand: Hicks Water Stove
  • OWF Model: 750 Gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 07:04:12 AM »

I don't have a CB but the owner of the OWB company I bought from said cleaning the fire box and
back box in my case then spraying with high temp paint yearly would be a good practice.

He doesn't follow that procedure on his own stove but said it may increase longevity.
Pages: [1] 2