Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: New member and needing help  (Read 2435 times)

stick2157

• View Profile
New member and needing help
« on: January 20, 2010, 07:42:09 AM »

Okay, i live in NC and grew up heating with an indoor wood stove until my wife and i bought a new house that has a gas pack. I thought i would give it a try but after two years of gas bills that i have no control over i am ready to fire the chainsaws back up. I am trying to put as much research in this as possible so i do this right the first time. It will definitely be something i put in place in the spring/summer and will be ready for next year. I have been looking into OWF's for about a month and am mostly interested in Hardy's and Central Boiler's.
A good friend of mine has an old Aqua Therm that is probably 20 years old that he no longer uses and has told me that i could have it cheap if i wanted it. It was working fine when he stopped using it and he still has his domestic water running through it, so i guess this would mean that it doesn't leak????? I know you don't never know until you try but does this sound like something that may be worth trying or is it way too old to even mess with? Thanks for any help and information.

R W Ohio

• View Profile
Re: New member and needing help
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 08:23:40 AM »

Stick2

I think if it were me I would go ahead and try it.That way you would have all of the work done for the install and if the Aqua

Therm didn't work out,all that would be needed would be to switch it out with the new OWB of your choice.

And if it does work ok you will be many dollars ahead. Perhaps the owner could give a lot of help, speeding up the learning curve of using an OWB.

Ron
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

dmorris

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 11:21:04 AM »

Stick 2
I agree with R W ohio
I would at least try using it for a couple of years. You never know it might last another 5 to10yrs. I tried looking for a used Central Boiler before buying mine but the couple I did find wanted to much.
Roseville , KY
CB 6048
STIHL 031AV

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 02:03:23 PM »

Okay, i live in NC and grew up heating with an indoor wood stove until my wife and i bought a new house that has a gas pack. I thought i would give it a try but after two years of gas bills that i have no control over i am ready to fire the chainsaws back up. I am trying to put as much research in this as possible so i do this right the first time. It will definitely be something i put in place in the spring/summer and will be ready for next year. I have been looking into OWF's for about a month and am mostly interested in Hardy's and Central Boiler's.
A good friend of mine has an old Aqua Therm that is probably 20 years old that he no longer uses and has told me that i could have it cheap if i wanted it. It was working fine when he stopped using it and he still has his domestic water running through it, so i guess this would mean that it doesn't leak????? I know you don't never know until you try but does this sound like something that may be worth trying or is it way too old to even mess with? Thanks for any help and information.
Stick, be sure and check on your state or county bylaws about OWB they change quickly now adays. I no nothing of your situation or what the laws are there but be sure you know what you are doing. It could be (again i am not sure just throwing this out there as a precaution) that you may be in an area that requires you have a new EPA tested OWB in your area and hooking up the aqua therm could be agin the law.

other than that if "cheap" is really cheap give it a whirl  be prepared to cut likely at least twice as much wood as you likley  did with your indoor furnace  and if you get away with two fills perday also remember you will out there twice daily no matter what the wether i am not trying to discourage you only prepare  you happy burning
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada