Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Return water temp.  (Read 2500 times)

Chas

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
Return water temp.
« on: October 05, 2013, 04:49:51 PM »

Of everything I've learned on this site, it seems the most important is return water temps. So I have an idea, I'm going to install an adjustable snap disc tempurature switch on the return line after my water to air HX with my thermostat wire hooked to it. I'll set it for 140º, and if the water temp drops below that my furnace blower will shut off. If we are away for a weekend and the boiler temp drops, this will help preserve the temp we have by not allowing the blower to cool the water off even further. If the house starts to cool off, my other thermostat will fire the furnace up and I'll burn a little propane. Will this work? I'm sure I'm not the first one to try this.
Dolmar 035
Stihl 026
Stihl 260
Speeco 25 ton splitter
John Deere 4720
Polaris Ranger 800

Middle of the mitten, Michigan

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Return water temp.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 06:24:35 PM »

Yea I guess it would work, but if your return temps are to low and the firebox is out of wood, then it doesn't matter.. 

I the firebox is out of wood, there is nothing or no where for the moisture to come from
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Chas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 07:31:16 PM »

Ohhhhhh......OK Scott, that makes sense. Another thing it would do for me though, if the water temp were to drop so low that I'm no longer getting any heat out of it,  the thermostat would never be satisfied and the blower would never shutoff. Another option would be to install the snap disc on the supply line and set it at...... lets say 150º or so. I like the idea of not letting the water cool off too much, I feel it would buy more time before having to worry about any freezing issues. Any thoughts?

Dolmar 035
Stihl 026
Stihl 260
Speeco 25 ton splitter
John Deere 4720
Polaris Ranger 800

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 07:37:10 PM »

That part may be true in regards to freezing

In regard to the other situation. You can have it where ur old stat takes over when the new one can't keep up

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Chas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 10:05:47 PM »

That's a great idea too, closing the damper door when the wood supply is running low enough that it's not making heat anymore. That would prolong the coals and keep the stove warm longer.

Dolmar 035
Stihl 026
Stihl 260
Speeco 25 ton splitter
John Deere 4720
Polaris Ranger 800