Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Location of OWB  (Read 3060 times)

justinb

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: 10000e
    • View Profile
Location of OWB
« on: November 24, 2013, 06:38:10 PM »

Anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new Heatmaster 10000 E series.  Is it ok to put OWB's in the woods?  I have some open areas in my yard, but the most convenient areas would be in a wooded area.  With the price of a concrete pad and underground line, I sure don't want to move it later.  Does anyone have any regrets about the location of of your OWB?
Stihl 251
Stihl 461

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Location of OWB
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 06:46:05 PM »

i say as close as is comfortable with you. the farther away the more expense in underground pipe, cost to push the water, and heat loss to the ground. in the trees is Ok, (i think) but you may need to add some stack to get rid of the smoke
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

kybaseball

• OWF Model: MF10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 06:47:42 PM »

Only regret here is not doing it sooner!!! you will love it.

netwerx-r-us

• OWF Brand: Tennessee Outdoor Furnace
  • OWF Model: Hoss 400HE
    • View Profile
    • Netwerx-R-Us
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 06:52:25 PM »

Remember you will have to walk to it in the dark , I regret where i put mine every morning at 600 am when its about 25 degrees out and I Have to walk down the hill and around back to fill it up, more than once i have had my feet above my head and on my back looking up at the stars when i hit the frosted ground  , course the first reaction we look around to make sure no one saw that
Netwerx-R-Us
http://netwerx-r-us.com
Kubota 3430 W loader and backhoe
Echo 440
Honda Rancher 400
Kubota ZD326

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 06:53:21 PM »

Lots of people will tell you to put it down wind of the prevailing wind toward your home, that has to be a factor of how close you have it to your house also. Height comes into play if you have a steep hill (head pressure on the pump). Mine is close to the woods, I get edgy in the spring if (or whenever) it gets dry and I have shutdown when I feel it is a possible fire danger.

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 08:16:54 PM »

My stove is 14ft  from my house. when I got my stove it came with 25 ft of pex 
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

Brad

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 08:35:26 PM »

I have mine In a grove of super large white spruce trees 30 feet to the east of my house. The prevailing wind blows the smoke (most of the time) away from the house. When it's -20 outside I don't want to walk any further than I have too. The only downside is all the dry pine needles that drop from the trees. I end of raking all around down to the dirt just in case.  I feel better when there is snow on the ground  :) keep in mind that the occasional spark will fly!
Aitkin, Minnesota

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 04:42:40 AM »

My wood boiler is fifteen feet from my office door, but only used when I'm on the road with the Chip boiler doing shows, the chip boiler is 20 feet from my shop, keep it safe and easy to access
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Jack72

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-1450 (11)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 05:27:22 AM »

Location of OWB
« on: November 24, 2013, 07:38:10 PM »
Anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new Heatmaster 10000 E series.  Is it ok to put OWB's in the woods?  I have some open areas in my yard, but the most convenient areas would be in a wooded area.  With the price of a concrete pad and underground line, I sure don't want to move it later.  Does anyone have any regrets about the location of of your OWB?

Justin b
If I had woods in my backyard that's where mine would be makes a nicer setting in the woods instead of the middle of your yard.    The only thing is I'm sure your going to have to deal with some surface tree roots.     
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 05:30:24 AM by Jack72 »
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern Tool 25 ton Splitter

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 05:52:04 AM »

May want to check with your insurance agent also since around here apparently 25 feet is the magic number, closer they decide it is like an indoor fireplace and rate accordingly.

justinb

• OWF Model: 10000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 08:18:48 AM »

Thanks for all the insight!!  My anticipated location is amongst pines, and the dried needles on the forest floor worries me a bit.  Maybe I'm worrying for nothing as this is all new to me.  I'm basing my location where it will be easily accessible during winter months(thinking snow drifts). 
Stihl 251
Stihl 461