Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Storage?????  (Read 2261 times)

ArborAir

• OWF Brand: Classis
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
Storage?????
« on: December 08, 2013, 11:07:39 AM »

Boiler Greenhorn here. I just installed my first boiler, Classic 6048 heating 2160 sf house, domestic and 3200 sf shop via air exchangers. Planning to add pool, hot tub and possibly another 3200 sf shop. Fired up a month ago when temps were 20-30 degrees. Wood was cut through out spring and summer and is not split so not green but not as dry as it should be. Boiler instantly got caked up with thick creosote (black tar). Likely from the poor wood and loading techniques. I load up in the morning and evening and sometimes come out in the morning to empty firebox and 150 degree water temp. I was thinking about adding water storage for longer cleaner burns and to buffer the water temp swings. Also I believe this would benefit greatly in the shoulder seasons and summer only burning every few days instead of smoldering. Just for trial and test to see benefits before I build a monster tank I am thinking of plumbing in 2 265 and 1 300 gallon fuel tank. I don't see a problem with it. I have a crawl space where I could put a 4000 gallon storage tank if this turns out to be beneficial. Main reason is so I don't have to worry about babysitting the fire so much. Comments?

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Storage?????
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 11:48:41 AM »

Just keep in mind that the storage will not create BTU's, you first have to heat the tank and you may lose more BTU's than it is worth, the best scenario for storage is in a place that requires no heat all day and then when the sun goes down there is a huge heat load on the system ( greenhouses ) in other words it is really no more than a buffering tank!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 07:28:10 PM »

You have to heavily insulate storage tanks to make them beneficial.  Typically, the cheapest solution is a purpose built shed with thick fiberglass insulation in the walls.  I've also seen people have entire storage tanks covered in 2" of closed cell spray foam.  I have not seen fuel tanks used before, but if the metal is good and thick then I don't see why not.  I suspect the typical heating oil tank will be a tad on the thin side and rust out quickly if that's what you were planning on.  Some of the nicest setups I've seen are 500 gallon propane tanks stood on end supported by a truck rim with a 2" bung at the bottom end and a 2" bung near the top on the side.  The tanks are either spray foamed inside of an existing shop and tucked in a corner or people have built purpose made sheds for them.  The crawlspace may actually be a good place for a storage tank if you insulate the tank well.

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 06:13:57 AM »

With heating a pool, I would not add storage.  The pool will drain any storage system you have and then it will take forever to recover.  I added a low temp shutoff for my pool system so it can only operate on the high end of the boiler.  I think that helped a lot.  Prior to that the pool would really drag the boiler down and recovery took forever.

edward_2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 10:27:50 PM »

Mostly people feel stressed because of their cluttered home. Self storage units are helpful in this case. I hired Storage in Mitchell for me and you?

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 09:58:37 PM »

Storage can be good, I don't think I would add as much as you listed, maybe start with the 265. The longer your burn times the more efficient your season.  They are easy to insulate, any tank, frame a box around it and fill with cellulose, spray foam, insulation of choice. A pump and a few controls, or stat. OWB's already have large volume for this reason, extending tending times. Pump size, pipe size are critical to use and charge the battery(storage tank). Any vessel used under 15psi does not need ASME certs.
I've seen some with home made copper coils too, 1"-1 1/2" pipe for an exchanger. A storage tank can also be used for a safety in case of a temp over run, to quickly bring down temps.
Michigan Thumber