Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Transfer Switch or Interlock Kit  (Read 10633 times)

kybaseball

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF10000E
    • View Profile
Transfer Switch or Interlock Kit
« on: February 09, 2014, 03:58:04 PM »

After getting caught not having a generator ready just in case power goes out. It happened for 3 days. I have got the generator now so next step is how to do this. I have watch 2 different ways to do this and was wondering how you guys do it?

Belknap

• View Profile
Re: Transfer Switch or Interlock Kit
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 04:01:12 PM »

I have been installing the interlock kits lately just because it is nice to be able to use any circuits when the power is out.  The only thing you have to be careful of is not turning everything on at once.  Turn the cicruits on one a time and only the circuit you need.
Gilford NH

artbaldoni

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-175 Modified to burn coal and/or wood.
  • Continuously burning since 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 04:31:06 PM »

I have been installing the interlock kits lately just because it is nice to be able to use any circuits when the power is out.  The only thing you have to be careful of is not turning everything on at once.  Turn the cicruits on one a time and only the circuit you need.

+1
Nature's Comfort  NCB-175
Dolmar 5105 20"
Makita DCS6401 28"
1995 5/8 ton Dodge
7 x 14 10k Trailer
Bobcat 7753 w/EEL Tracks
22T Huskee Splitter
Fiskars X-27
Fiskars X-11
15 # Monster Maul
Titan 60"  Twin Cyl. Root Grapple

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 04:45:35 PM »

I don't do it to 'code'. I have a dedicated Generator plug outside. I run a 10/3 wire and backfeed a 30 amp 220 breaker. I shut down my main breaker and then throw my generator breaker. I shut off my oven and drier breakers so no one accidentally runs them. I have put an amp meter on each leg from the generator and even with the well pump starting and my fha fan starting I don't bump over 18 amps. We try to run as few lights as possible while on generator power.

kybaseball

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 05:07:38 PM »

I was reading that if you tie it straight to the breaker box and don't use a interlock switch you can be arrested.

Belknap

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 05:08:59 PM »

I don't do it to 'code'. I have a dedicated Generator plug outside. I run a 10/3 wire and backfeed a 30 amp 220 breaker. I shut down my main breaker and then throw my generator breaker. I shut off my oven and drier breakers so no one accidentally runs them. I have put an amp meter on each leg from the generator and even with the well pump starting and my fha fan starting I don't bump over 18 amps. We try to run as few lights as possible while on generator power.
/quote]

Don't do it like this. This is how people get killed!!
Gilford NH

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 06:43:57 PM »

The safe way is a transfer switch, but the cheap way is with a plug outside. The main breaker ABSOLUTELY must be shut off first if you back feed into your house.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 07:10:04 PM »

I have a gen tran..OWB hooked up to it as well..All i do is is fire the generator up and flip the switches ..What Belknap posted..Its a fairly new thing ..Both work slick
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 08:14:23 PM »

A manual transfer switch is not that expensive, safe and legal. If you think about it you only need a few circuits for a generator to supply critical load, if you can afford it switch the whole panel but most of us don't need to spend a whole bunch on a few circuits and do it right, just my opinion.

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 08:14:34 PM »

What's the difference in a interlock and transfer switch?  I have a transfer switch (i think?) on my panel that prevents back feeding the power lines and still powers my breaker boxes. 
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »

My understanding, an interlock is a manual transfer switch, some times referred to a double throw switch.  The switch is on commercial power in one position and generator power on the 2nd position. 

A transfer switch monitors commercial power and when it goes down, starts the generator, and transfers the power supply to generator power
until it senses commercial power again, then transfers back to commercial.
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 08:43:09 PM »

I'm going to be using an Interlock kit.  My generator is big and old so an automatic transfer switch is pointless but I haven't found a normal manual transfer switch yet that allows me to switch over more than 50 amps.  My generator is big enough to run every circuit in my house at the same time (and that's my little generator!) and I plan on hard wiring it to my panel.  I can hard wire it to back feed a large double pole breaker near the top of my panel and install one of these neat Interlock kits on my panel at the same time.  The Interlock kits are basically a piece of metal on the face of the panel that moves with the position of the main breaker and a big double pole breaker near the top of the panel.  It's designed in such a way that only the main or the big double pole can be on and neither can be on at the same time.  They're pretty slick and far cheaper than having the power company come out and pull my meter so I can slide a transfer switch into the main service cable. 

http://www.interlockkit.com/

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 08:49:06 PM »

In other words an interlock is "dummy" proof and does nothing else different from back feeding a double breaker other then keeping a dummy from not throwing the main breaker. Sometimes in life you need to use you head in life.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 08:57:36 PM »

most power companies dont give a rats ass if you electrocute yourself or blow up your generator because you or someone forgets and throws the main feed back on while the genertor is hooke up...but they get mighty angry if you back feed the pwoer lines while one of their lineman is holding what should be a "dead" wire and you kill him or her

when the power goes out in my area and the repair crew comes along to work on the wires and they see my lights on...they almost always pull in to see how my lights are working (how they are hooked up) i can only imaging the flashing lights that would be in my lane in a matter of minutes if they seen something "not quite legal"

stand by power for me...do it right or dont do it...simple as that.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 03:57:02 AM »

I have a generator that automatically comes on when the power is lost.  My OWB is tied to it.  Like WillieG, if the POCO shows up investigating the loss of power and seeing my lights on, they'll have a look to see how it's connected.  We had a pro install it due to "code" and frankly, it's the smart thing to do.  It doesn't bother me they want to investigate the connections, their life is on the line.  I don't need a manslaughter/negligent homicide charge hanging over my head.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire
Pages: [1] 2 3