Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Drilling through Foundation  (Read 4301 times)

justinb

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: 10000e
    • View Profile
Drilling through Foundation
« on: February 12, 2014, 05:56:31 PM »

Preparing to install my 1st OWB this weekend.  what's the best way to get the insulated pipe into the house?  I would think coring a hole through the foundation would be the best for decreasing heat loss, but I'd have to rent a drill for a job like that.  Going through the sill plate would be a whole lot easier and faster.  What should I do?
Stihl 251
Stihl 461

Jack72

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-1450 (11)
    • View Profile
Re: Drilling through Foundation
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 06:11:30 PM »

Preparing to install my 1st OWB this weekend.  what's the best way to get the insulated pipe into the house?  I would think coring a hole through the foundation would be the best for decreasing heat loss, but I'd have to rent a drill for a job like that.  Going through the sill plate would be a whole lot easier and faster.  What should I do?

Rent it     It will be protected from sunlight and the elements lawnmower etc.  plus it doesn't look very appealing to the eye 

It took me a boy 15 minutes to drill mine once anchored
Just make sure that's right so you don't rip your head off very dangerous tool if you don't know what your doing
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern Tool 25 ton Splitter

Sluggo

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: 20,000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 07:19:22 PM »

I agree.  Looks hideous running thru the sill.  I'm a concrete guy and here's my recommendation...chances are if you rent a 4" or 5" core drill it will be dull and take forever.  If the rental company can't guarantee you a new bit this is what I would do...buy or rent a hammer drill that takes sds bits.  They are common.  Take a 1/2" bit long enough to go thru the wall and drill about 20 in a circular patter big enough to get your lines in.  Keep about 1/2 to 3/4 between holes so you don't fall off into another hole.  Once all your holes are drilled one smack with a maul and your done.  Not as neat as a core drill but much more effective than a dull core bit which I guarantee they will give you.  Be sure to patch back in with anon shrink grout and waterproof with tar or something.  Another trick if it poured wall is to stay away from tie height.  There will be rebar at around 8",20"',50",70",and near the top but you won't be that high I hope.  Depending on type of wall forms used you should be able to see a metal tie sticking out about 2" or at least a small hole where it once was.  This is where your rebar should be! 
Stihl 441
Stihl 660
Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Bobcat T190
Grapple
Farmi 501 Winch
2015 3500 Crew Cab HIGH COUNTRY Duramax

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 07:33:33 PM »

GREAT ADVICE Sluggo!!!!!!!!!!!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 07:35:23 PM »

I agree with going with the stitch drill method. I went with a core drill that I rented and it took me 2 hours to go through 8 inches! It was dull as a hoe.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 07:43:17 PM »

i jsut did my rental house as sluggo suggested..i used a 3/4 bit for a 6 inch hole..i drilled at 7 inches and drilled trying to leave about 3/8 between holes if i remember correctly i drills 17 holes and it took about 45 min (giving my tired arm a break every now and then) and this is only a temp supply!!
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 08:58:31 PM »

When you have a broken leg you should consult a doctor, when you are working with concrete the doctor most likely won't have a clue but the grunt that beats his but into the ground working with it everyday might be able to teach you something about concrete! Thanks again Sluggo!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 06:57:14 AM »

You're right on with the SDS bit style rotary hammer drill Sluggo. Wear ear protection, the hammering of the drill is very loud and close to your ears. The rebar in the pour can be a problem but if you hit it then move over and patch the hole later, if you notice the drill stops going in and the hammering sound turns metallic that means you are hitting metal rebar, don't drill it too long against the rebar, it will dull the bit. In general don't push too hard on the drill, let the hammering of the drill motor do the work. Here's a description of the SDS style bit if you're not familiar:
 http://www.confast.com/articles/sds-carbide-tipped-drill-bit.aspx

justinb

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: 10000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 09:03:24 AM »

Thanks everyone!!!
Stihl 251
Stihl 461

automan77

• OWF Brand: ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
  • Just say no to propane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 11:54:10 AM »

I used a hammer drill and drilled a bunch of holes and busted my way thru.  It was rough getting thru the poured wall but it never cost anything but a little sweat.
Scott K
Stihl ms 311
Husky 455

St Clair County Michigan

Troy Built 27 ton splitter

Ratchet Thunderbolt

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Global Hydronics
  • OWF Model: GH-2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 12:08:01 PM »

I agree.  Looks hideous running thru the sill.  I'm a concrete guy and here's my recommendation...chances are if you rent a 4" or 5" core drill it will be dull and take forever.  If the rental company can't guarantee you a new bit this is what I would do...buy or rent a hammer drill that takes sds bits.  They are common.  Take a 1/2" bit long enough to go thru the wall and drill about 20 in a circular patter big enough to get your lines in.  Keep about 1/2 to 3/4 between holes so you don't fall off into another hole.  Once all your holes are drilled one smack with a maul and your done.  Not as neat as a core drill but much more effective than a dull core bit which I guarantee they will give you.  Be sure to patch back in with anon shrink grout and waterproof with tar or something.  Another trick if it poured wall is to stay away from tie height.  There will be rebar at around 8",20"',50",70",and near the top but you won't be that high I hope.  Depending on type of wall forms used you should be able to see a metal tie sticking out about 2" or at least a small hole where it once was.  This is where your rebar should be!

:post:

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 12:32:32 PM »

If you don't have a basement, go UNDER the foundation and you won't have to drill anything.  Worked for me :thumbup: