Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: hot water tank size  (Read 2322 times)

chillyhiker

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood from scott7m
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
hot water tank size
« on: February 17, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »

considering replacing my natural gas water tank for electric one. its a 40 gallon size and was wondering if there would be any benifit in going to a smaller tank. would it keep the water hotter?...I notice sometimes if there is a large time gap in between hot water uses...just wife and I...the water isnt quite as hot....just wondering.
stihl chain saws
husky spliter
 trailer for haulin wood.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: hot water tank size
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 05:11:16 AM »

you set the temp on the tank when using hydro and on the mixing valve if using wood, the size of the tank has nothing to do with it.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

chillyhiker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 11:39:34 AM »

I have a plate exchanger no mixing valve. when im using hot water and the boiler is up to temp no prolem but if there is hot water being used and the boier is say in the 160 range the water going into the tank is cooler than normal ...does that make sense?
stihl chain saws
husky spliter
 trailer for haulin wood.

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 11:52:49 AM »

I've noticed a bit of a difference in my hot water when my stove is 185 in the colder days rather than the 170 I run in the milder days.  HOWEVER, it's still sufficiently hot for any hot water usage.  I'm running a 20 plate before my hot water tank with no mixing valve.  I assume your 160 is your low set point?  The coolest I run my stove is 170 with a 10 degree swing.  So, 160 is as cool as it gets.   
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

andyjs

• OWF Brand: heatmaster
  • OWF Model: 10000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 03:10:02 PM »

If you pump more GPM through plate exchanger you should never run out of hot water.what size pump are you running?

chillyhiker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 03:47:18 PM »

I've noticed a bit of a difference in my hot water when my stove is 185 in the colder days rather than the 170 I run in the milder days.  HOWEVER, it's still sufficiently hot for any hot water usage.  I'm running a 20 plate before my hot water tank with no mixing valve.  I assume your 160 is your low set point?  The coolest I run my stove is 170 with a 10 degree swing.  So, 160 is as cool as it gets.   
[/quote

Im runing 172-180 but sometimes it drops below that while the stove  is catching up. I was thinking it woud be more like an on demand hot water tank if the volume was smaller in the hot water tank.  I guess if we used more hot water it wouldnt be an  issue and actually it isnt but was looking for more consistancy if tht make any sense.
stihl chain saws
husky spliter
 trailer for haulin wood.

racnruss

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort gt-220 sold P&M Optimizer 250 sold now Heatmaster 10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 06:00:43 PM »

My F in Law has an 80 gallon hwh and was having same symptoms when he was heating water going into hwh with the boiler.  Just too much volume and not enough hot water coming into the tank to keep it all consistent.

so, we T'd off the drain of water heater and put a small circulating pump inline.  Basically made a loop so the hwh was all heated up all the time.  Then we put a mixing valve on pipe coming out of hwh on the way to faucets.  Now same all the time and doesn't matter what the temp of boiler is 140 or 180 because mixing valve is set at 130.
Tree service Owner/Operator since 1997.  Central Iowa.