Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Aquatherm overheated this week  (Read 6416 times)

NHmtndad

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: S-275
    • View Profile
Aquatherm overheated this week
« on: March 21, 2014, 08:08:08 PM »

What a week...I woke up at around 1:30am Monday morning to my OWB screaming at me from my barn. I ran down to the basement and my gauge was reading 240 degrees. When I went out to the barn the unit was blowing steam out of the pressure relief valve. The main circulator pump was fried. In the end I had to manually remove the coals from the firebox which was sketchy to say the least. Pushing a wheel barrow full of hot coals through a barn full of wood was far from a good time.
Aqua-therm S-275
Stihl MS 461R

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
Re: Aquatherm overheated this week
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 08:35:06 PM »

Goodness! I imagine you had a little trouble falling back asleep after all that excitement!
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 05:44:33 AM »

Sure glad the relief valve worked! any reason found why it overheated? please replace the relief valve for future safety before refiring the boiler, at those temps I would be surprised if you didn't damage the pex.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

NHmtndad

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 06:01:12 AM »

To say the least...I tried to trouble shoot it the next day but my experience is limited. I wasn't sure what caused it to overheat...I suppose I still don't know why. The main circulator off of the unit was toast at that point. I suspect that either the pump failed, which caused the overheating, or the unit was somehow allowing air to leak by through the ash door or main door. Does anyone have any other insight?
Aqua-therm S-275
Stihl MS 461R

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 06:44:14 AM »

Was the forced draft fan running when it was overheating? The aquastat could have failed in the closed position which caused it to leave the fan running. Door gaskets could definitely be a culprit, how do they look?

NHmtndad

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 07:19:04 AM »

I don't believe the fan was running but I could be wrong. Gaskets on the door look in decent shape and have held a tight seal all season. That morning I did notice that the Ash door seemed to be a little loose which was never the case. So On Monday I immediately replaced the main 007 taco pump and I also had to replace a handful of fittings because they had been leaking through the compression fittings after the incident. I then proceeded to refill the boiler and thought that I was bleeding the air correctly. After the pump was full to 10 PSI and held for a couple hours, I felt like I had a no more issues. Unfortunately this was not the case. I started a fire in the firebox at around 530 6 o'clock and by 8pm I was not showing an increase in temperature on the gauge located in the house, I was not getting proper circulation which was definitely the case as I believe the system was airlocked and overheated once again. At this point I'm not sure if I damaged the pump or anything else. I decided to wait till this morning to try and refill the boiler.

Being a novice at these types of things I do have some concerns. How do I test to see if the aquastat is performing properly? Also, I'm not sure how to properly test the system to see if it is circulating so I don't run into the same issue?
Aqua-therm S-275
Stihl MS 461R

Propster

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Aquatherm
  • OWF Model: 145
  • MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 08:50:46 AM »

My Aquatherm has overheated 3 times in the 16 years I've owned it (it's 18 yrs old). First time my son left the ash door open after cleaning. Second time I was away at a trade show in January and it happened to my wife in the middle of the night. That was fun trying to tell her what to do on the phone. Never did determine the cause of that one. The last time was this winter. The drive belt on the HX fan motor broke and wasn't blowing the hot air into the house, so it kept calling for heat and kept the aquastat fan blowing on the fire.

Thankfully the temp relief valve worked each time. And the pump kept working. All 3 times had to shovel out the wood/coals in order to cool it down enough that the relief valve (I keep a spare on hand) would hold so I could fill it again and restart. There's always a reason, just sometimes difficult to diagnose.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 11:24:24 PM »

Sure glad the relief valve worked! any reason found why it overheated? please replace the relief valve for future safety before refiring the boiler, at those temps I would be surprised if you didn't damage the pex.
Why he need to replace the relief valve? It worked..Which its designed to do.. Relief valves aren't a ,once they pop they aren't no good.. I pop mine at times when refilling the boiler with wood, when the fan just shut off and the fire is going good..No need to replace..Only time to replace when its leaking or has a constant drip..
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:30:02 PM by MattyNH »
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 06:29:36 AM »

240 degrees is awfully hot, it should have popped before that, I would look for one that pops at a lower temp to protect the piping is all i'm saying, perhaps adding another would be in order as well, one may not have been enough to drop the pressure fast enough to protect the pipe, better safe than sorry!

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 06:48:21 AM »

240 degrees is awfully hot, it should have popped before that, I would look for one that pops at a lower temp to protect the piping is all i'm saying, perhaps adding another would be in order as well, one may not have been enough to drop the pressure fast enough to protect the pipe, better safe than sorry!
of course it popped before the 240 f degree..and besides how he gonna ruin his piping when there's no flowing water.. It's the boiler itself was that hot not the water in the pex al pex.. I would stick with what the factory installed for the relief valve
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

NHmtndad

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 07:05:49 AM »

It very well might have popped before that...should pop at 210 if I'm correct. But the heat kept rising b/c the pump failed and the temperature didn't start coming down until after I shoveled all of the coal out of the fire box.
Aqua-therm S-275
Stihl MS 461R

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 07:14:17 AM »

Matty read post # 5, the heat obviously compromised the pex or the fittings would not be leaking, perhaps a lower temp relief valve or a second relief valve would have kept this from happening, without pressure the water would have a very hard time to go above 213 degrees much like boiling water in a pan on a gas stove, pressurize it and it will climb in temp very fast, remove the pressure and it will very quickly drop back to 212 degrees, It's called latent heat. NH, you posted your last comment before I finished, was there steam / water still coming from the boiler at that temp, if so then the damage to pipes and fittings possibly could have been avoided by a second relief valve, the boiler temp would certainly have still climbed in temp but the pressure and extreme temp of the water / steam would not have damaged the piping and fittings, would you rather that steam vent from a safe pressure relief valve or burst a fitting possibly in your home with your children in the basement playing, I am in no way bashing pressurized systems, all I'm saying is make it as safe as possible, steam is not something to be taken lightly, IT CAN KILL YOU OR YOUR LOVED ONES if done incorrectly!

browncty

• OWF Brand: American Royal
  • OWF Model: 7400B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 07:17:05 AM »

If the EPA regulations go through, then the gasification boiler will be the only choice on the market. It's also bad this will also put Americans out of jobs who manufacturer conventional OWB's.

NHmtndad

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 07:30:14 AM »

Slim I agree but the compromised fittings needed to be replaced anyhow. Doesn't surprise me that they leaked. The pipe had multiple older compression fittings and it was at a funny angle so it was due to fail at some point. Lots of steam came out of the boiler for well over an hour after I discovered the issue.
Aqua-therm S-275
Stihl MS 461R

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 07:35:12 AM »

Do you understand my concern for safety, If those fittings were to pop at a point where a person were standing, they would have been hurt, is it not worthwhile to be a bit redundant about safety?
Pages: [1] 2