Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shelter For OWB  (Read 5187 times)

Bud Man

• OWF Brand: P&M
  • OWF Model: BL 2840
    • View Profile
Shelter For OWB
« on: April 09, 2014, 08:22:32 PM »

Lancealot brought up a topic I have wanted advice about. How many of you have your OWB under shelter?
Being a newby, I would like to put my 28-40 under a carport. I would have both sides and the north end covered, open to the front (south). The OWB would be in the back left corner with enough room behind it to get to the electrical, pumps, etc. I have my wood stacked on "hayracks" so the carport would be wide enough to park a rack of wood beside the OWB for easy reloading. When a rack gets empty I would replace it with another one. Is this a good idea or am I setting myself up for a disaster?
Livin' on a long and lonesome highway east of Omaha.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Shelter For OWB
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 04:10:43 AM »

This is a subject that I have posted on several times, fire hazard is always a concern to me, you guys and gals have the Liberty to do as you please as far as placing your boilers inside a building, my suggestion however is to use a metal building such as a carport with a non flammable base that needs to be kept clear and any spilled ashes and coals be immediately disposed of.  There will be times for all of us that we get complacent and that is when we have problems, personally it's not worth the risk, those of you who are using a wooden structure could reduce your risk by facing any wood that is exposed with metal siding, the most important place to do this is over the loading door, please be careful!!!!!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 04:36:34 AM »

What slim said and don't let a bunch of bark laying around! One hot ember is all it takes to ignite!
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 05:34:05 AM »

This is a subject that I have posted on several times, fire hazard is always a concern to me, you guys and gals have the Liberty to do as you please as far as placing your boilers inside a building, my suggestion however is to use a metal building such as a carport with a non flammable base that needs to be kept clear and any spilled ashes and coals be immediately disposed of.  There will be times for all of us that we get complacent and that is when we have problems, personally it's not worth the risk, those of you who are using a wooden structure could reduce your risk by facing any wood that is exposed with metal siding, the most important place to do this is over the loading door, please be careful!!!!!

:post: :thumbup:

Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

TheBoiler

• OWF Brand: Garn
  • OWF Model: WHS2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 09:10:46 AM »

Is there something specific to OWB's that increase  the risk compared to wood stoves or the indoor wood boilers that many of the same manufactures sell?

automan77

• OWF Brand: ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
  • Just say no to propane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 09:12:33 AM »

It's a outdoor boiler why  bother.
Scott K
Stihl ms 311
Husky 455

St Clair County Michigan

Troy Built 27 ton splitter

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 10:02:37 AM »

Not at all but the biggest reason that I put in an OWB years ago was fire safety, why spoil that benefit by simply transferring that fire hazard into another building
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 11:45:34 AM »

I think its only as dangerous as the person operating it. I personally have never had any customers or any of my own fire burning devices catch fire. Even our hunting cabin of 34 years with a pot belly stove and many family and friend users has the original carpet with a couple small burns on the floor. And it burns from sept to March.
Obviously I deal more with indoor equipment, and as long as a maintenance schedule is followed and monitoring your system, burn good wood, you won't have any problems.
Michigan Thumber

TheBoiler

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 12:35:47 PM »

Feels like there are several thread running on the same subject.

I am not going to repeat everything I said before and it does of course depend on your location, weather conditions etc.

I do not need to cover my wood, so I do not, but elsewhere it would be a pretty good idea.

Assuming you do want to do something, then I am assuming you are starting from scratch and will be basically have a utility structure using as far as possible non combustible materials. I would also not want all my wood in there, but then I would not want all my wood stacked in one place anyway.

oaky

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL-2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 02:07:17 PM »

I think its only as dangerous as the person operating it. wood, you won't have any problems.

I used to live in a older 14 x 40 foot trailer house for seven years, heated it with a wood circulator stove, followed  all of my home insurance reqiurements, all went well, that's when I learned to sleep lightly since then & my sense of smell improved greatly.

Brought that same wood heater to my current home over thirty yeats ago, upgraded to a regular indoor wood furnace five years later, got tired of throwing all that mess down into the basement every year, finally upgraded to a OWF 14 years ago installed it in enclosed shed, again followed my home owners insurance requirements.

After all these years, I still sleep lightly, take burning wood very seriously & with respect. I have a large fire extinguisher in my garage, & a hose on a reel in my basement with quick hose access through basement wall. With the grace of Almighty, I have never come near of needing these precautionary gear.

oaky
Husqvarna 272
Husqvarna 55
27 Ton Cub Cadet Log Splitter
John Deere 826D Walk-Behind Snowblower
Always A Good Pile Of Oak Firewood
Home is: West Central Wisconsin

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 02:37:09 PM »

Good post, story. 
I go to Alaska every year, and almost ever house has a wood fueled appliance. It's all about safety and respect for fire.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 02:40:42 PM by Sprinter »
Michigan Thumber

TheBoiler

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 04:28:03 PM »

Gas/Propane worry me more.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 04:35:29 PM »

Its no different than have a wood stove in the house!!
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 04:53:19 PM »

I know a few people that have there OWB's under shelter..Some have them under a pole shed..One has has it under a metal shed ..Another having it in a detached garage..Through out my travels Ive seen others in barns, lean two's , closed sheds..So its up to you really..
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 05:01:46 PM by MattyNH »
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Bud Man

• OWF Brand: P&M
  • OWF Model: BL 2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 05:51:53 PM »

Thanks for the replies. You sure have given me some things to think about. I'm thinking of building the carport to park a rack in and have the OWF beside it. The wood will be protected from the snow, ice and embers and still be close by for loading.
Livin' on a long and lonesome highway east of Omaha.
Pages: [1] 2