Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: PAYBACK TIME FOR YOUR OUTDOOR WOOD BOILER  (Read 7540 times)

Fourced

• View Profile
Re: PAYBACK TIME FOR YOUR OUTDOOR WOOD BOILER
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 08:28:53 AM »

I built my own and have been running it for two winters. It heats the house 2400 sqft and the garage/shop/apartment 1400 sqft.

Build and install cost $5500. Propane was an average of $3600 a year(around $300 a month on the budget plan)

This winter would have been over $5000 for propane, so I have to say mine is paid off in two winters.

95% of my wood is free unless you count saw and splitter gas and maint.

On propane we kept the house at 63-65 now wife is lots happier keeping it at 72. And the hot water, ohhh the lovely hot water. We have three teenage girls, so hot water is like gold around here.

I would fill the boiler five times a day if I had to as long as it keeps that dang propane truck at bay.

Homerglide

• OWF Brand: Orlan EKO
  • OWF Model: Out in the shop - Model 25 gasifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 09:17:55 AM »

Including the cost of 20 cords of log load oak, boiler (indoor gasser) and system components (self install) the break even will be just under 4 years. After that it will average $360 per year if purchasing logs, compared to $1700 for average propane usage previously. Or free if logging my trees. Just as others, I now keep a constant 70 instead of propane 65. Very happy using zero propane for heat this passed winter, probably woulda cost $2100 at prepay pricing plus the additional needed.
Coupla Chainsaws
Axe
Strong OLD Back
2000 Dodge Cummins

fryedaddy

• OWF Brand: Hicks Water Stove
  • OWF Model: 750 Gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2014, 10:42:58 AM »

I've been around inside wood boilers all my life - 34yrs. This is currently the type I use and love it.
It's a conventional but is still a lot more affordable than electric, gas and oil. I paid $6,500
for the stove and $3,600 for the solar panels installed. The exact brand and size were in my shop
previously but gave up after a few decades. My lines and electric were already there, I just had them
add on to the shop and install solar panels onto of the addition.

My payback will be around 6yrs on the stove and close to the same on solar panels.

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase.
Pages: 1 [2]