Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: secondary burn tubes  (Read 1725 times)

stratton

• OWF Brand: D.S. MACHINE
  • OWF Model: D.S.Aqua Gem 3200 INDOOR
    • View Profile
secondary burn tubes
« on: May 21, 2014, 02:51:29 PM »

question for scott or slim

Do you think its possible for secondary burn in a indoor boiler[ DS Aqua gem 3200 ] Its a conventional boiler not gasser. im thinking something similar to the englander 28- 3200 sorry if model is wrong. DS comes with secondary air ports in back rear of boiler.I was thinking of trying to add pipe to the port holes and run pipes above the fire. what do you think??  please i would appreciate any ideas or comments
fairfield ct - wardsboro vt

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: secondary burn tubes
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 05:06:26 PM »

I think you would be as well served to add some firebrick first!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Homerglide

• OWF Brand: Orlan EKO
  • OWF Model: Out in the shop - Model 25 gasifier
    • View Profile
Re: secondary burn tubes
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 02:48:26 PM »

That is a questionable modification. If the materials used in the original construction are capable of withstanding the higher temps, that might be possible. I experimented with secondary combustion in an old wood stove that I had modified into a sandbox heat sink with copper tubing in the sand to capture the heat and send to emitters.

In this case secondary air inlets were directed into a chambered stove-top flue. The sandbox was around and above this secondary combustion area. It worked great at secondary combustion and achieved temps above 1400 F. However, and this is important, the sheet steel construction of the stove could not tolerate the high temps and fatigued to a dangerous level quite rapidly.

I would think the engineers who worked on the design of your boiler did not plan it as a gasification boiler or it would be one. It sounds very risky to attempt something likes this inside your home. The possible loss of structure, loved ones, and loss of insurance coverage due to your modifications is nothing to take lightly.
Coupla Chainsaws
Axe
Strong OLD Back
2000 Dodge Cummins