Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BL 2840 - NorthWest Maine  (Read 7597 times)

FareNorth

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
BL 2840 - NorthWest Maine
« on: October 06, 2014, 09:38:51 PM »

Wanted to introduce myself as a new owner of the P&M BL 2840. I am located in the NorthWest area in Maine.

After reading many positive things about the P&M boilers, I made a trip to see Slim Jim and some of his demo boilers. After a very short time of asking questions and poking at the boilers, I was sold.

Made my payment as others have here. Then arranged pickup at The Common Ground Fair. Never attended this fair and recommend it to anyone in the area.  Kudos to Slim Jim and his buddy who offloaded the boiler to my flastbed trailer. He also parted a great deal of info to me verbally which made sense at the time. However I was so tired from the day and  excited about my new found liberty with this purchase, I unfortunately forgot much of the info that was passed along.  :-[

So I will be reviewing info here and probably be asking for info already covered. I am trying to do much of the work myself, so if anyone has images or examples I can use as a guide, it is really appreciated.

I will update this thread with photos (as soon as I am allowed) and as I make progress

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
Re: BL 2840 - NorthWest Maine
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 09:52:53 PM »

Welcome aboard Farenorth!
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 04:39:04 AM »

Lyndon is coming down today to pick up some parts from the truck arriving this morning, do you need anything FareNorth, he could bring it up to his place. WELCOME ABOARD!!!!!!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

randy_1

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 04:06:16 PM »

Welcome ... I am Mighty jealous of your purchase I might add... Where in western maine are you I'm in dover foxcroft
Kubota L 3300

FareNorth

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 08:04:17 PM »

Slimjim,

ML is shipping the ends for the logstor. Once I get the line buried, I will start working on the plumbing and electrical inside. For now just running it to my forced air system. Then a line to my garage. Got a Modine type heater for cheap, so that will be my quick heat source for this winter or that's the current plan.

Next year, I hope to modify the setup for DHW and install radiant floor heating. Just estactic to be free of my oil bill going forward.

Randy,

I am located in Abbot, just a stones throw from you. I have close to 20 acres of woods that will be supplying my boiler something to chew on over winter :)

Also have a place in Dover just over Guilford border. Have a few acres of mature sugar maples that give me some Maine Maple syrup.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 04:14:37 AM »

Yes FareNorth, the truck just came in yesterday, I pulled 8 pex by copper for you and ML will be shipping them today, we have some of the termination ends for the logstor as well if you like, most folks don't bother with them but they do clean up the install a bit, would you like for her to ship you 4 of those as well?
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

randy_1

• OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 03:53:36 PM »

The electrician that helped me with my install is from abbot. Don't hesitate to holler if you have any questions or concerns this is my second year with p&m. Great company, great support,
Kubota L 3300

Big Wood

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler Heatsource 1
  • OWF Model: E-2300 Model 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 03:11:56 AM »

Farnorth why wait to do the DHW its not that big of expense and not that hard to do plus all the HOT WATER YOU WANT you might as well cut another PUC out of the picture enjoy
Outdoor wood boiler repair and help

FareNorth

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 07:17:38 PM »

Tomorrow I plan on wrestling the logstor pipe into the trench.

Would anyone have a picture or link of their setup of wiring etc on the backside of a 2840?

Crow

• OWF Model: BL 28-40
  • Eastern Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 05:51:24 AM »

There are a few pics in here somewhere but I did find one of EE Farmboys in his installation.

Big Wood

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler Heatsource 1
  • OWF Model: E-2300 Model 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 02:02:01 PM »

Northwest leave some slack on the Logstor pipe for movement in the slab don't make it a ridged hook up run 12/2 under ground wire some in case it in 1" pvc conduit up to you
Outdoor wood boiler repair and help

FareNorth

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 07:07:02 AM »

I have FedEx and UPS showing up everyday now with bits and pieces I need for the install. Just got the exchanger that will go in my forced air system. I am not ready for the inside work but trying to plan ahead. I assume I put the exchanger in the hot air side? Does it matter? Pros or cons or missing the boat all together?

Hoping that by working a bit each weekend, I will have this running by Thanksgiving. Luckily past few days have been mild but know Winter can strike and stay any day up here. Stranger things have happened over the years and know Murphy's law all too well. : )

Jwood

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 07:48:31 AM »

If you can put your exchanger on the supply side that is better not all installs allow it remember if its on the return side you are also heating your fan to near 180 degrees which could possibly shorten the life of you fan.
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27

FareNorth

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 12:26:35 AM »

Jwood, thanks for the info. It's the experience of people such as yourself that bring value to this forum. Hope to one day assist others here as well once I get some experience with the system.

Ran some electrical lines today in conduit. This weekend will poke holes in house and boiler for hookup. I have had a shed built over my boiler, so I will have some wood nearby and so I am not loading it in the rain/snow.

Also ran some network cables for some external IP cameras I have around my house. Figured I would take advantage of the conduit and trench.

Jwood

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 01:10:44 AM »

It's no problem I've been helped out tons,  that's what makes this site great its not everyone bashing eachother instead we all seem like friends even though most of us have never seen eachother. I will of course always offer help if people need it cause I need quite a bit myself at times. :thumbup:
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
Pages: [1] 2