Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: pump size  (Read 2083 times)

coaldozer

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Home Made
  • OWF Model: Creek Heater
    • View Profile
pump size
« on: December 03, 2014, 03:17:08 PM »

I got my homemade owb on line the first of November. It is 100' from the owb to the heat exchanger that sits about 4' lower than the owb. I installed a taco 007 which seemed to work fine till I later put a heat exchanger in my garage. It is  9' to the top of it. The 007 will not pump to the top of it. Right now I have the heat exchanger in the garage bypassed. What size pump do I need, and do I need a 3 speed? THANKS for any help.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: pump size
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 10:26:51 PM »

It depends on what you have for fittings, pipe and heat exchangers in the entire system. If not a lot, a Grundfos UPS15-58 or Taco 0015 should work fine.

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 06:13:15 AM »

Could it be that the heat exchanger is vapor-locked; you say first heat exchanger is 4' below OWB and second is 9' above.

...or did I miss something?

coaldozer

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 06:47:31 PM »

The exchanger for the house is 12x15 (4 core) and I used 1" pex line with 90s at the owb and only 1 - 90 at the top of the exchanger in the garage. I ran the return from my primary exchanger to the top of the garage exchanger, don't think it would be vapor locked.Figured it would be easier for the pump to dump in the top than push from the bottom (right or not)?

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 11:03:48 PM »

Figured it would be easier for the pump to dump in the top than push from the bottom (right or not)?
Not sure what you mean by this. Are you talking about the heat exchanger or the pump?

If that heat exchanger is quite a bit higher than anything else, you might need a bleeder valve at the highest point. If it is more that 8-10 feet higher than the boiler, that pump will never get water up to it. If it is close to that height the flow will be almost nothing till you get the air completely out of the system.

coaldozer

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 06:33:11 PM »

Thanks LittleJohn and RSI . Got the air out and everything is working fine.  :thumbup:

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 06:40:20 PM »

The pump is undersized though. I would get a replacement and keep that one as a backup.