Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Anyone try using Remote grill Thermometer?  (Read 2969 times)

intensedrive

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
Anyone try using Remote grill Thermometer?
« on: December 23, 2014, 10:27:20 PM »

I was wondering if I could just use foil tape and wrap the probe parallel with the pex just before it enters the heat exchanger.  I could take readings from the actual the boiler compared to my probe temp and figure out the difference if its constant.  Remote grill monitor is $15 sold at walmart.  I know its made for meat and not sure if the probe well insulated and taped against the pipe will give a accurate reading.  Seems if it did work a cheap solution as the monitoring station wouldn't be too far from the furnace.

Sluggo

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: 20,000e
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone try using Remote grill Thermometer?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 05:16:13 AM »

That's what a lot of us are doing.  Search the forum for the word Maverick and you will find out out more.  Works awesome!
Stihl 441
Stihl 660
Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Bobcat T190
Grapple
Farmi 501 Winch
2015 3500 Crew Cab HIGH COUNTRY Duramax

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 05:58:09 AM »

Yes the vast majority of us use the maverick remote wireless temp sensor. The maverick  has two probes so you can zip tie it to the incoming and returning lines so you can measure delta t. Just zip tie the probe then put pipe insulation over the probes. It is also wireless so you can put you temp gauge anywhere you want in the home.

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 03:30:24 PM »

I just got one for XMAS and I love it. I just shoved it behind the insulation on the two lines coming in the wall. It is a little lower than actual temp but just add a few degrees in my head and it works just fine. about a 16-18 degree drop from the supply and return nice to be able to see it from the table.

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 07:48:46 PM »

I just got one for XMAS and I love it. I just shoved it behind the insulation on the two lines coming in the wall. It is a little lower than actual temp but just add a few degrees in my head and it works just fine. about a 16-18 degree drop from the supply and return nice to be able to see it from the table.

That is EXACTLY how I installed mine and am getting the same readings (a little lower than actual temp).  Awesome little device.   :thumbup:
Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA

James

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 09:36:44 PM »

I'm using mine a little differently than most guys, I think.  I've got the one probe behind the insulation on the supply side and the second one I've got just below my chimney (I think slimjim calls it the breech).  I figure my return temp is going to be what it's going to be...But I can gather a whole lot of information from of my exhaust temp.  Comparing those two numbers and having run the stove for a few years now - I can tell when the stove has cycled on, when it's cycled off, when it's gasifying and from those numbers I know if I need to add wood or not.  It's definitely reduced the number of times per day I have to go outside to check it.  Highly recommended.  :thumbup:

aries9245

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Cl6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 05:13:09 AM »

I bought 2 of them last yr at bed bath n beyond only problem is I don't get the signal to the remote monitor on my first floor I'm thinking it's do to the foil insulation under my radiant pipe blocking signal .. So I took them back
Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws
Homemade 4way splitter w/log lift ( the terminator)