Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: maxim 250 putting info together  (Read 13185 times)

intensedrive

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
Re: maxim 250 putting info together
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 09:31:12 PM »

Just wanted to add the American Harvest was a indoor unit, I can not compare it to any outdoor boiler

dwneast77

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler; Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300; HE10000
    • View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 07:38:36 PM »

Intensedrive,
A buddy of mine has a similar unit I think from American Stove Co.  He's had it several years and had quite a lot of trouble keeping his house up to temp.  He did change some parts this season and made some other changes with his cold air return.  The other day he told me it's been doing great for him and we've been stuck in a very cold pattern for quite some time.  Pellet quality does make a big difference also.  This is the first season he's been happy with it.  Still quite a lot of daily maintenance for him though.
Eastern Maine (near Calais)
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
Craftsman 27 ton Splitter
JD 870 Tractor

intensedrive

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 11:50:01 PM »

Yes the cold air return is very important for this stove, you need to build a custom filter box along with cold air return.  I never did directly run cold air intake, I cut a few cold air returns to feed right into the the stoves intake in the back.  Its important to take the warmer air from the house and run that back through the heater other wise your sucking cold air in the basement.  For me parts were failing after the second year, and the soot issue was a major deal, I was changing the filter twice per week.  I'm glad he has his unit running better offering the heat he deserves.  I gave the unit away for $250 I hope the new home owner has more of the expertise to make this unit work better for his application.

Intensedrive,
A buddy of mine has a similar unit I think from American Stove Co.  He's had it several years and had quite a lot of trouble keeping his house up to temp.  He did change some parts this season and made some other changes with his cold air return.  The other day he told me it's been doing great for him and we've been stuck in a very cold pattern for quite some time.  Pellet quality does make a big difference also.  This is the first season he's been happy with it.  Still quite a lot of daily maintenance for him though.

madcop

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Maxim 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 06:33:13 AM »

I purchased a Maxim 250 last September and started it on October 1st. The unit is 300 feet from my house and I am heating approximately 2300 Sq/Ft older home.  I have no trouble keeping my house at 72 degrees even when its -45 with the wind chill. January and February has been brutally cold up hear in Northern Maine and I average 3 to 4 bags a day.  My over all average since they day I fired it up on the 1st of October is 2.9 bags per day. Ashes are not to bad, I clean the stove every 2 to 3 weeks and it takes me approx. 20 min. I switched to the Maxim from a Central Boiler outdoor wood boiler which I ran for 11 years.  I was burning approx. 15 cords year, I figure I will burn approx. 12 tons of pellets with the Maxim.  Pellets are more expensive than woods but the convenience is worth it for me.  I have no regrets switching to the Maxim all though the customer service could be better.   

madcop

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 06:39:11 AM »

Oops made a mistake, I had a Wood doctor outdoor wood boiler not a Central Boiler.

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 10:46:18 AM »

I purchased a Maxim 250 last September and started it on October 1st. The unit is 300 feet from my house and I am heating approximately 2300 Sq/Ft older home.  I have no trouble keeping my house at 72 degrees even when its -45 with the wind chill. January and February has been brutally cold up hear in Northern Maine and I average 3 to 4 bags a day.  My over all average since they day I fired it up on the 1st of October is 2.9 bags per day. Ashes are not to bad, I clean the stove every 2 to 3 weeks and it takes me approx. 20 min. I switched to the Maxim from a Central Boiler outdoor wood boiler which I ran for 11 years.  I was burning approx. 15 cords year, I figure I will burn approx. 12 tons of pellets with the Maxim.  Pellets are more expensive than woods but the convenience is worth it for me.  I have no regrets switching to the Maxim all though the customer service could be better.   

That right there is great information.  What's the average cost for wood pellets during the heating season?  Are pellets available in bulk, and if yes, is there a cost savings there?  I know down here in area NH pellets are anywhere $250/ton up to $300/ton on a pallet.  Thanks, Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

madcop

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 12:28:59 PM »

I paid $240 a ton in September and bought 12 tons which I'm happy I did because they have been pretty much unavailable since then.  There is one bulk dealer in my area but they were and are asking $265 a ton which doesn't make sense. When I called him out on being more expensive than bags they guy said somebody has to pay for the $200,000 truck they use to deliver.  There has not been any pellets available here for the last two months aside from the bulk one's but he can choke on them for all I care.   

madcop

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 12:42:08 PM »

Just my opinion,
The Maxim 250 costs approx $8300 plus installation, I have a co-worker who purchased a Kedal pellet boiler with the bulk feed system, said and done it cost him approx $19,000. He is burning a heck of a lot more pellets than I am, on the coldest day we had this season which -45 with the wind I put 4 bags in my Maxim and he was knocking on 6 bags.  We did a comparison seeing as I keep daily stats on pellet consumption and he averages 1.5 to 2 bags more per day than I do and my system was less than half of what he paid.  True he has a bulk feed setup which is more convenient and he can log into any computer and monitor his stove and make adjustments remotely but considering the price he paid vs what I paid I'll keep my Maxim any day of the week.  ;D

Big Wood

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler Heatsource 1
  • OWF Model: E-2300 Model 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 05:12:51 PM »

Madcop did you get the bigger hopper 48 bushel thank you for all the good info. Also i think you can add on to the firestar controller i am also in Maine Brewer Thanks
Outdoor wood boiler repair and help

madcop

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 05:51:14 AM »

I didn't get the 48 bushel hopper but might look into it this coming year.  Madawaska here..

dwneast77

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler; Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300; HE10000
    • View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 07:53:01 AM »

madcop & Big Wood, I'm down by Calais!!
Eastern Maine (near Calais)
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
Craftsman 27 ton Splitter
JD 870 Tractor

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2015, 09:11:24 AM »

Been looking on the CB website but can't find what I'm looking for; what's the max BTU's that thing rated at and what's the max square footage it can heat?  Does anyone have any idea if that thing could keep up with the heat load of 4500sqft 1840's farmhouse?  I'm working on plugging all of the air leaks (I'm about 70% there and it's getting easier to heat and stays more comfortable for longer periods of time).  Thanks for sharing what you know about these things.  I appreciate it.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

madcop

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2015, 12:09:25 PM »

It says it has a range of up to 250,000 btu *Based on tested maximum output capacities Actual Btu output and
efficiency will be affected by the quality and type of fuel and other factors.

EPA label says " maximum output rating 212,453 BTU/Hr

I am sure it would heat you home but pellet consumption might be up there considering the size and age of your home.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2015, 02:10:34 PM »

It says it has a range of up to 250,000 btu *Based on tested maximum output capacities Actual Btu output and
efficiency will be affected by the quality and type of fuel and other factors.

EPA label says " maximum output rating 212,453 BTU/Hr

I am sure it would heat you home but pellet consumption might be up there considering the size and age of your home.

madcop - Thanks for the info.  Due the cold weather this winter my wood usage will be around 8 to 8 1/2 cord.  I don't know what that would convert to in wood pellets (tonnage) but I have a feeling it would be somewhat more expensive to operate than my OWB.  At a cost of anywhere between $250 and $300/ton (in my area), that price tag would increase rather quickly.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

madcop

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2015, 02:40:10 PM »

I was using between 12 and 15 cords of wood with my OWB.  I will use 12 tons of pellets this year. last year I paid $1540 for 15 cords of tree length woods.  This year I paid $2800 for 12 tons of pellets.  Almost double but after 11 years of cutting tree length wood it was nice this year not to have to deal with it. Pellet delivery guy came and unloaded the pallets where I wanted them , about 30 minuets of work for him while I watched.  It was awesome.  I don't regret my switch and its still cheaper than oil which would of run me about $6500 for a contract this year.   
Pages: 1 [2] 3