Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Radiant floor question  (Read 1899 times)

dodges

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Natures Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-175
    • View Profile
Radiant floor question
« on: January 16, 2016, 07:16:25 AM »

This is my first season with my OWB and I love it of course but I would like to add radiant floor under my joist.  Although the house is set at 73 I have tile over 75% of the house and it feels cold.  I wanna do the Ultra Fin so it doesn't touch the floor and I don't have to mess with the mixing valve.  I need to pick Slims brain on the Ultra fin since he's done a bunch of installs but I only wanna do one zone and I couldn't find anything searching on here for what I wanted to do till I found a diagram on Central Boilers website. They go to a sidearm, 48" I presume, then to a heat exchanger, and then to the pump that goes to to the radiant floor and back out to the OWB.  Has anybody ever done this that way.  Does anybody heat with just radiant floor.  I'm assuming the two would run in unison when the house calls for heat.  This seems like the simplest way cause I look at some of those diagrams with all the zones and pumps and I'm lost.  I'll try to post a picture of the diagram if I can figure out how to post it.  Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks.  EDIT: I've added the attachment below. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 08:30:36 AM by dodges »
Northeast Ohio
Stihl ms-361
Bobcat 743

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Radiant floor question
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 09:21:43 AM »

They do a nice job with the diagram but that one would be for a radiant in slab installation, there is no need for a mixing valve on the Ultra Fin system so that portion can be eliminated, a zone valve or extra circ could also be added in the hot air heat loop instead of the 3 way valve they have, this ensures that the rad gets no heat until it's called for.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

dodges

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 11:39:44 AM »

Slim could I still use this setup and go to the floor joist instead of the inslab?  Also can you go to the heat exchanger first then the DHW, then the in floor heat?  I have mine set up right now going to the heat exchanger then the DHW.  Have any of the installs used radiant floor heat only?  I'm wondering how much more load this would put on the boiler.  I would think you would be able to drop your in house temp because it would heat more evenly and it would call for heat less and stay on a lot less.  Thanks for all your help.
Northeast Ohio
Stihl ms-361
Bobcat 743

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 04:14:07 AM »

It can be done the same way but you should eliminate the mixing valve, Ultra Fin works better with straight boiler water temps.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

dodges

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 01:34:50 PM »

Great thanks Slim!  Anybody heat with just radiant?  Anybody who heats with both radiant and a furnace exchanger did you notice a difference when you went to the radiant with the heat in the house.  Did you still leave the house temp the same or did you lower?   Would love to hear from anybody with radiant and how it works.  Thanks guys.
Northeast Ohio
Stihl ms-361
Bobcat 743