Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Wife insisted on going somewhere warm for a week. Now have a frozen line  (Read 3126 times)

silver star

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile

My wife just had to go out of the country to "recharge her batteries" which comes from the high stress tasks of working at a not for profit- don't get me started.

I decided to shut of the boiler, only to be delayed 36 hours getting back when the coldest days I a frozen line- no circulation. trying to track down where it could be. the lines are exposed in the garage (unheated) as they are routed to the upstairs furnace. Been blasting it with a propane powered heater. No luck.

In checking some paint and varnish containers in the garage there is no indication they had frozen, so not sure if that is where my problem is.

Found my water pump was hot to the touch, after running for hours with no circulation and the boiler temp rising to 194.   

Next step is to get into the crawl space and see if that is the problem. I am pretty confident the lines from the unit to the house were put in below frost line.

Are there any common areas along the units when they aren't running and a line freeze happens. I also took the propane unit out and blasted the plumbing at the OWB too.

my simple joy in life is having my OWB going on frigid days and enjoying a cheaply warmed house. I am a treat to live with right now. Hope she thought it was worth it.  Stayed tuned to my next rant about United Airlines treating passengers like crap.
Husbands must learn to forget their mistakes. No reason two people should remember them forever.

woodman

• OWF Brand: hawken
  • OWF Model: he1000
    • View Profile
Re: Wife insisted on going somewhere warm for a week. Now have a frozen line
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 10:13:20 AM »

Is there a spot somewhere the water just sits behind a zone valve? I cant believe you could freeze a line in that short of time with the water moving.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 10:30:10 AM »

Pump isn't burned out is it?

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 10:44:11 AM »

Stayed tuned to my next rant about United Airlines treating passengers like crap.

Yep, flew to England once with AA, have flown nothing but British Airways since if possible. I like BA, have been upgraded to business roughly half the time we have flown with em.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

silver star

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 12:35:36 PM »

One error I made was to not leave the pump running, while away, so the water in the line was sitting there.

Pretty sure the pump is okay, I can hear it going when I plug it in. pressure builds up on both entry and return gauges, and it is the same psi.
Husbands must learn to forget their mistakes. No reason two people should remember them forever.

agriffinjd

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 3444
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 06:34:51 PM »

What kind of underground lines are they, pex or pex-al-pex?  If pex-al-pex can you hire someone to come thaw the lines with electricity?  I think that's how they have to thaw frozen water lines in the city water systems when they freeze.  Or would that ruin the pex that is on the pex-al-pex?

It seems odd that it is frozen anywhere other than exposed areas, like from the boiler until it gets underground, or somewhere else.

Don't kick yourself too much.  I have a friend with an OWB and he shuts off the fan and water pumps and leaves for a couple days and comes back and it's fine.  He swears by it.  I leave the pumps on and always would, but you're not the first to try it with them off...
----------------
U.P. of Michigan

Pointblank

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 06:55:28 PM »

I would check where the lines leave the stove and enter the ground. Its under the stove but in an unheated space
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

silver star

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 08:21:57 PM »

Temperature got up to mid 30's today. Got home after dark, and gave it a shot. Pump sounded like it was moving water. By the time i got inside and felt the intlet line to the furnace, it was nice and hot.   

Not sure where the issue was, but lesson learned.   I think shutting off the pump and fan a couple days is not a problem, if i go way for 8 days, i will keep the pump going.

I am smug and happy again, nice and cold outside. When the owb is going and its toasty inside I let out an evil scientist laugh.

Four day weekend coming up and i have some blow downs to cut and split in hal- staying ahead of it this year and laying it into next season

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 02:53:11 PM »

I read on the forum once where someone put a small portable electric heater in their boiler while they were gone to keep it just above freezing I think they said they covered the chimney but not sure on that. That is my plan when I go away next year for a week or two.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 08:42:24 PM »

If your heat exchanger is after the furnace, then when your gone the furnace should keep the water at least above freezing if the pumps are running.

Best way too keep your OWB from freezing while on vacation?

Make friends with your neighbors and drink a few adult beverages with them that you supplied.

Better yet find somebody else in the area that has an OWB and trade stove tending duties while on vacation.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 03:18:38 AM »

GOOD ADVICE MARTY!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

silver star

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 07:33:26 AM »

Oh yeah. I think I mentioned a neighbor who remodeled our kitchen this year and took our dog in that week, offered to take care of it. He has his wife mostly convinced to get one. Their home is pretty big, and utilities are hitting them.

I learned some lessons this time. silver lining was I found an issued with one of my furnaces, that I resolved and it is running much better.