Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: second thermostat won't run blower fan on oil furnace  (Read 136 times)

wonderwhy?

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
second thermostat won't run blower fan on oil furnace
« on: October 31, 2019, 07:00:38 PM »

I have my OWB installed, Everything works just as it should with the exception of the fan in my oil furnace wont come on with the second thermostat.  I have read 30+ posts from all different OWB websites. Lots of info out there, I have tried many different things to get it to run the fan.  Right now the only way i can turn on the fan with the second thermostat is to take the face off the thermostat and jump a wire from W to RC.  I ran a jumper back up to G on first thermostat and fan only works on first thermostat.  Is this because I have a delay on the fan for the oil furnace? is it waiting for heat build up?  I am currently burning a Hardy H4 i picked up used, aquastat controls the furnace and i run my pump all the time to keep hot water flowing. Any help would be great.  Thanks Paul  :bash:

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: second thermostat won't run blower fan on oil furnace
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 09:38:15 PM »

Does the 2nd thermostat run on batteries? If not, do you have a C wire hooked to it?
What terminals do you have the wires on. You should have the wire that used to be on the G terminal in the original thermostat connected to the W in the new thermostat.
You also need a wire added from the RH on the original thermostat(or R if no RH) to the RH in the new thermostat.

shepherd boy

• OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 04:56:31 AM »

If RC to W works than you  have power to RC. You need a jumper to RH to RC and it should work, battery or otherwise powered. But as RSI said you need C to common if t-stat is powered by 24v from furnace.
Retiring HeatMaster Distributor for southeast US
 Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

wonderwhy?

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 07:11:00 AM »

I have batteries, that took care of my problem.  I just didn't understand.  The way that i read how to hook the second thermostat up was jumper wire for both R (blue wire) and RC (red wire, 24vac) from thermostat 1 to thermostat 2.  Green wire removed from thermostat one and put in W hole in thermostat 2.  this was a no go for me, no fan.  After taking jumper off of R and using supplied little metal jumper from R to RC i have a fan when second thermostat calls for heat.  So thankful for the quick replies.  I have two identical honeywell thermostats model number RTH111B1016 they do not have the option C some refer too.  Hopefully this will help some poor sucker like me one day.  Thanks again to those that replied over night to help me.

So this is how i understand my second thermostat now, power comes in on RC is jumped to R using supplied metal jumper that came with honeywell thermostat.  When heat is called for power goes from R to W, done by thermostat automatically controlling the fan in my oil furnace that i hope doesn't burn any more oil.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 07:23:04 AM by wonderwhy? »

shepherd boy

• OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 07:52:28 AM »

you got it!
Retiring HeatMaster Distributor for southeast US
 Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy