Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: down to two...advice please  (Read 4806 times)

suzukidad

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF5000e
    • View Profile
down to two...advice please
« on: January 18, 2014, 05:54:24 PM »

Hello,
My husband and I have been looking at OWBs for over three years now.  We initially decided not to purchase and instead were going to go with solar panels but things changed and here we are again.  We have a 1,500 sq foot brick ranch home with a full basement (well insulated, new windows, new doors) with a $450/electric bill.  We have electric heat (furnace is about six years old and high efficient).  We are looking to heat our home and then potentially our existing garage and a new garage we would be building in the future.  We have an endless supply of good firewood.

We have looked at MANY brands and models (visited dealers and read and re-read websites). We are wanting a gasification unit.  We have it down to Heat Master (g200) and Central Boiler (e classic 2400).  We like certain features on both and wanted some opinions.  Concerned about insulation on Heat Master unit as it seems less than subpar.  Seems simple in design compared to some of the others.  For central boiler we are concerned about the amount of maintenance needed weekly - cleaning of fire pit area.  Does anyone have any thoughts / experience on this?

Also, do you think I can load the wood in these units?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 08:08:56 PM by suzukidad »
Husqvarna Rancher 455
Husqvarna 440
Jolly Star Sharpener
Suzuki King Quad 750
Polaris Ranger XP700

Ohiowood

• OWF Brand: Central boiler
  • OWF Model: E-classic1400
    • View Profile
Re: down to two...advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 07:30:05 PM »

Have a Central Boiler E-classic 1400 and love it!

racnruss

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort gt-220 sold P&M Optimizer 250 sold now Heatmaster 10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 07:41:59 PM »

Hello.

I am surprised you haven't had many replies already.

You said your" husband and I " and then asked if your wife could load it? :)

Anyway, yes you or your wife can load it.  Because you are considering a gasifying boiler, you will have to split and dry your wood into fairly small pieces that any adult can load.  My wife is very small and I just have a wheelbarrow of wood close to the boiler for her when I know she will have to load it.

We have a gasification boiler (sorry, not one you are considering) because we live in the city.   Are you required to have a EPA phase 2 boiler? Or do you have very close neighbors?  That would help determine if you actually need a gasifier. 

I take wood to a man with an E Classic boiler and he is in the rurals.  He told me he wished he would have went with the basic boiler style that he had on a previous property (not a gasser).  The wood preparation and cleaning that a gasser requires is not worth the minimal wood savings compared to the simplicity and less wood prep. on a standard, in his opinion.
Tree service Owner/Operator since 1997.  Central Iowa.

suzukidad

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 08:13:17 PM »

Dear Racnruss,
Good catch! I actually wrote that so it should have said can I load the wood.  I fixed it.   What brand do you have? I think we were thinking that the gasification series would be worth it because of the wood we would save.  We live in a rural area and there are no requirements (yet).  Our closest neighbors are my parents and then my brother and they are probably about 200 yards or so away from us. 
Thanks for your reply! :)
Husqvarna Rancher 455
Husqvarna 440
Jolly Star Sharpener
Suzuki King Quad 750
Polaris Ranger XP700

Scott7m

• OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 08:14:18 PM »

Lots to consider for sure...

the insulation on the heatmasters is fine, as im not a huge fan of spray foam, spray foam over time breaks down and isn't as effective.  What I really hate tho is that it seals the stove, if it were to have a pin hole leak and u had bat insulation, youd immediately know it and be able yo address it.  If you have spray foam it could seep for years, then when it shows up you will have a lotttt more work to do.

overall, 2 good units though, the heatmaster is simpler.  With a already comolicated stove, simplicity goes a long ways
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

suzukidad

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 08:15:34 PM »

Ohiowood,
How often do you have to clean it and how long does it take? That is one of my concerns with this model.  I think the Heat Master has a built in method to clean the unit.  How long do you let your wood age before using? How long have you had it?
We appreciate the response!
Husqvarna Rancher 455
Husqvarna 440
Jolly Star Sharpener
Suzuki King Quad 750
Polaris Ranger XP700

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 04:26:43 AM »

Welcome to the forum.  You'll find many knowledgeable people on this site who are more than willing to share it with you.

I too have the E-Classic 1400.  I love it.  I'm on my 3rd season my home with it.  I live in NH.  Where do you folks live?  It heats 3000sqft and my domestic hot-water of my 1840's farmhouse.  Instead of paying $5,100.00 a year for fuel oil, I now spend around $600.00 a year (roughly 6 cord although this year I may end up burning a little extra due to the abnormally cold December) for firewood.  I have to buy my firewood.  I get it long length.  I buck it up in 24 inch length, split it anywhere from 4 inch to 10 inch diameter and stack it.  Let it dry for a couple of years and you're ready to lower your heating costs. 

I used to clean my firebox and primary air holes every week, generally around 6:00am on a Saturday morning.  It takes 20 to 30 minutes before I was firing her up again.  Now, I clean it every other week.  It doesn't take any longer than cleaning weekly.  It is vitally important that the primary air holes along the sides and the rear and the primary air solenoid elbow in the back of the boiler remain clear of creosote build up.  If they clog the fire goes out and you'll be spending time outside at 1:00am in 15 degree temps clearing them (don't ask me how I know).  Spending 20 to 30 minutes every other week on maintenance is a price I was willing to pay to keep my fuel costs lower than my property tax bill.  If you have anymore question, ask away.  I'll do my best to answer them.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Pit Crew

• OWF Brand: Centeral Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 04:40:05 AM »

Welcome to the site. I `m still not sure if the wife or husband is writing this....But I guessing you have a son or daughter that races Motocross...am I close?
North east Ohio
Since 1960

suzukidad

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 08:27:13 AM »

Pit Crew, 
My daughter gave me that name about 18 years ago when she was racing and I needed a screen name. She is 24 now with a 3 year old and one one the way. BTW, the 3 year old was riding a PW50 at 2-1/2 without training wheels!

Thanks for all the advice folks. My wife started the post... :thumbup: She is the queen of research and we rarely regret any purchase we make after she has done her work.

We have been getting reports from local people, that the gasifier can save 1/3 to 1/2 of the wood. Wood is not a concern however we think that wood savings may translate to time between loading the stove. My wife will be loading the stove all week and works long hours. Loading the stove 2 times a day max is a requirement. I will do the maintenance on the weekends and take over the loading chores. We live in north central Ohio with winters that can swing from mild to cold.

We have always saved our money and bought the very best we could afford. The Portage and Main unit seems to hold that title however the dealer is in the mode to retire on our purchase... :(

We wanted to make a decision this week and begin the install this weekend...however the ground is too frozen to pour concrete. The pad for the furnace will be in the middle of a "shed" that will house the wood out of the weather and protect the stove from the elements for longevity.

Quality and length of service are important to us. We don't want to be disappointed with our purchase.
Husqvarna Rancher 455
Husqvarna 440
Jolly Star Sharpener
Suzuki King Quad 750
Polaris Ranger XP700

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 09:32:41 AM »

One thing I do not like about the Central Boiler gasser is every time you open the door smoke comes out at you.  So, if you're putting it in an enclosed building you'll need a way to vent the smoke from the structure.  Make sure you check with your local code enforcement officer regarding gasser vs non gasser.  Some states (like NH) require the boiler be EPA phase II compliant.

Another point, every 12 hours I stoke it.  This offers me the opportunity to check the depth of the coal bed and be watchful of the air holes.  Now, we had some sub zero temps this past December (minus 20 plus in my area of NH) and all I needed to do for it to carry the 12 hours was fill it 1/2 to 2/3 full.  I only burn hardwood.  I keep my house at 70 degrees 24/7 (a very comfortable temp for me).  Like P&M, the CB unit is pricey.  I think I paid without the Heat exchanger, underground piping, etc... was $9600.00.  Good luck with your search.  Roger     
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Crow

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40
  • Eastern Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 09:44:23 AM »

Quote "We have always saved our money and bought the very best we could afford. The Portage and Main unit seems to hold that title however the dealer is in the mode to retire on our purchase... :("

That's too bad as I see your member number 2840. Could that be a coincidence?
I have had my Portage and Main BL 2840 ( non gasser )running since Early Dec/13 and loving it. We are also heating 1500 sqft main floor with full basement and dhw. Also plan on heating attached garage next season and hopefully building a larger garage/shop soon. Good luck with making a decision.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 12:22:14 PM »

It takes money to build and do what we do, if you think the dealer is taking advantage I would like to know who he is and what he qouted. Please keep dealer info offline at this point, PM me.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 03:04:16 PM »

Get a ridgewood and be done with it.

racnruss

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort gt-220 sold P&M Optimizer 250 sold now Heatmaster 10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 03:21:41 PM »

lets talk about wood savings for a minute.

I have a gasser and my family and friends have non-gassers.

THEY;  never have to clean, never load more than twice a day (usually once), don't ever worry about wood being too wet, dry, large, small, or species of wood.  Just put it in and forget it.

I; split all wood and stack it to dry at least 2 years in advance.  Then I restack it into the carport for the actual year I'm going to use it.  I have to be picky about only getting oak or locust because even with those species I burn 8-9 CORDS of wood each season.  IF I don't clean it on time, It won't gasify because of ash buildup.

So, if you are gathering your own wood, I don't see the advantage of the gasser because of the extra work involved. Not only that, but compared to the other boilers that I am around, I am NOT burning 1/3 tp 1/2 less wood than they are.  That being said, there are more efficient gassers than mine.   But, there are more efficient standards than my family's too.

If you are buying all of your wood with cash money and it is already split and dry, then Yes, I do see the savings of a gasser.

Hey, 2 cents doesn't buy much anymore.)
Tree service Owner/Operator since 1997.  Central Iowa.

LittleJohn

• OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 07:40:24 AM »

I am running a CB eClassic 2400, 3rd winter now, love it.  Clean it every week when it was SUPER cold (-20F before wind chill) otherwise about every 2 weeks; typically about every 3/4 of a cord - sometimes stretched to 3 or 4 weeks in the spring and fall when I am not firing a whole lot.  Please note I am also heat about 7000sf with in-slab piping, two seperate buildings.

All woodover about 9~10" diameter is split, cause if I can't get my hand over the peice GREEN wifey can't/won't pick it up after its seasoned.

About smoke coming out the door, use the by-pass kinda helps; and yes a little smoke still comes out the door, but its an OWB so a little smoke isn't the end of the world
Pages: [1] 2